Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebs  (Read 2309 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Hebs
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »
Our 3 sheep went on Sunday to slaughter. This has been my first experience with Hebs and I loved having them. Not an easy breed to work with until they get to know you. We have had our moments. They ran very well with the Shetland ponies, came to call. Stayed in good health which was a bonus. I felt sad once we had them loaded but we have another 3 coming next month. In all the years I have raised lambs for meat I have never said that I would miss them but this time I do. There is something about this breed that just wins you over. I got them to improve the grazing on the hill and they did that. Now to find out if I enjoy my chops !

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Hebs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:48:47 pm »
You will definately enjoy the chops  :thumbsup:

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »
I totally agree with you - there is something about the Hebs.  I have a few breeds now, and many are very friendly and loving, but there is just something that seems wise in the Hebs and they are definitely not a pushover!  Hope you enjoy the chops, they are lovely.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »
I love Hebs. The ones we have had have been so easy to keep and we keep meaning to get some more. Some of the best and most productive ewes we have had were by a Texel out of Heb ewes.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:03:27 pm »
Well we got them back this morning, weight 29 kg, 26 kg and 24 kg. Does that sound about right for this breed. ?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:49:42 pm »
You will definately enjoy the chops  :thumbsup:
I'll second that.
......There is something about this breed that just wins you over......
I have to admit that having spent some time with 'heb enthusiasts' the breed are growing on me. My second choice perhaps  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS