Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pure breeds and winter  (Read 1868 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
pure breeds and winter
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »
I want to introduce a handful of pure breeds to my flock - for both egg colour and longevity.  If I had 10 pures a mix of the higher layers such as sussex what happens in winter - October - March?  My eggmobile comes in to a huge shed and they have a mass of space to bath and run around in which has heras fencing around.  It worked really well last year however the light has to come on 6-7am goes off say 9am and back on 4pm - 7pm.  Will that work with pure breeds clock or will it mess them up?

I cant keep them separate and I need to keep my egg numbers steady - will they lay at all and will it ruin them?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: pure breeds and winter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:15:17 pm »
When I had my layers I had Light Sussex, White Leghorns, Welsummer and Marans.
Had the lights set a bit earlier than you but not on a night and it worked great, no problem at all.  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »
Cheers, I dont want to push them in any way.  So good news!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:30:21 pm »
I find the first hatch of the year (eggs set towards the end of lambing at the end of March) is coming in to lay around Christmas, irrespective of how much light they get.  Apart from exceptionally good birds that will be bred from for a second year all our old birds go by the end of November.  I find Cotswold Legbars lay very well through the Winter, and if crossed with a Welsummer they'll lay a good khaki/olive colour egg just as well. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS