Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please - duck egg / hatching  (Read 2575 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Help please - duck egg / hatching
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:32 pm »
Hi everyone,

I could really use a bit of guidance about a duck egg that hasn't hatched... My runner duck has managed to hatch out three eggs (first time in three years she's been successful, I am so pleased) BUT on Saturday, thinking it was over due and noticing her spending increasing time away from her nest, I decided to take one of her eggs and place it in a primitive incubator a friend has let me borrow.

On Monday three of the nest eggs hatched (there were a few tragedies too) but the one in the incubator hasn't hatched. BUT I can hear / feel movement inside it. I do not trust the temp guide and suspect it is cooler than 38* which is why I guess it might be later.

Should I just leave the egg...? I am worried I haven't kept it humid enough and the shell isn't soft enough or something?

Should I pierce a hole or is that the worst thing to do?

Obviously I really wish I hadn't taken it now, but after three years of her abandoning nests near the end I really thought I was doing the right thing to try and keep at least one safe.

I would be really grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Charlotte

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Help please - duck egg / hatching
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »
Hmm, a difficult call.  I know some folks who maintain you should never interfere, on the basis that only the strongest birds will hatch.  I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and help out those that have pipped but not progressed for a couple of hours.  If you break them out too early, though, they may not have reabsorbed the yolk sac and will die.  Saturday to Wednesday is a very extended hatching period, which could well have something to do with the incubator temperature being low.

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:45:05 pm »
Little update - I've done a bit more reading and have candled the egg and it has pipped internally - and I can actually hear cheeping. So I guess I just hang fire and wait for her to make a dent in the shell...?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:14:28 am »
Spray the egg with tepid water. If you have to help take a tiny bit of shell away at a time and damp the membrane underneath, don't be tempted to tear away the membrane or you will kill the duckling or have one with cerebral palsy. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:12 am »
[member=89885]devonlady[/member] - Thank you for that. Quick update, she has broken the shell now so seems to be managing okay... hopefully just a few more hours...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:05:04 am »
Is it hatched yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS