Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mouflon  (Read 10404 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mouflon
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 01:12:40 pm »
A midge can be blown 200 miles in a day if the conditions are right.  My neighbours and I have just given our sheep the first of the two Bluetongue vaccinations in a small but determined effort to create a firebreak between the east and south of England and Wales.  I cannot begin to begin to tell you how totally ****** off we would be if we found BTV8 had been introduced by sheep imported for their novelty value when we have so many and so varied breeds already here, some of which are on the RBST Critical list.

Very well said Marches Farmer.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
<<< Unlike most sheep, female mouflon have only two teats.>>>

I'm in stitches about that too.  Ours sometimes have up to 6, but the extras are tiny and non-functioning, and the sheep still have only 2 quarters.  Maybe Camperdown are confusing them  :cow: or maybe they have mutant sheep  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »
This thread may be useful. Seems like lots were kept in zoos etc so I am sure they would have no issues adapting to a nice field enclosure! I would contact the places mentioned in this link. You will probably find what you're looking for! Let us know!

http://www.zoochat.com/38/last-mouflon-sheep-england-116949/

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 03:40:01 pm »
Have posted on a previous thread..... The BTV free zone in france hasn't moved since last winter. it is no further north than it was then. During the last BTV outbreak we were told the danger period was as temperature rose and vectors began flying again. so far no problems.

I live in an unaffected zone. Trying to get hold of vaccine is nigh on impossible. Whilst the risk of BTV moving further north is real, vaccination of commercial flocks / herds is the best protection. Hence the reason it hasn't moved any further north french farmers are vaccinating. however as last time once you drop your guard it comes back, BTV is here for good.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »
This thread may be useful. Seems like lots were kept in zoos etc so I am sure they would have no issues adapting to a nice field enclosure! I would contact the places mentioned in this link. You will probably find what you're looking for! Let us know!

I have read that thread (which dates back some years, last entry 4 years ago), and it seems that almost all the zoo flocks had dissipated or died out or been rehomed.  There were an aged pair left at Dudley Zoo, some very aged ewes at Camperdown, and a flock seeking a new tup in Spalding (not in a zoo.)

So I don't think you can conclude that they would
they would have no issues adapting to a nice field enclosure!
- quite the reverse.

It would certainly be worth contacting the lady in Spalding, though.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
Hi Jimmy- have you tried searching in mainland EU? I have just seen this http://www.zwagemaker.biz/mouflon so maybe they are in captivity there.
Of course be careful as I am sure there are illegal wildlife traffickers around. If you were going to go for it you might be able to get a few genetic groups? You would prob. be the only breeder in the UK!

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »
Thank you everyone for their reply's. I've got plenty to get stuck into looking some Mouflon. I would like to reassure people who have replied to the thread with their reservations to me importing from Europe that no stone will be left unturned in making sure any animal I may import is in good health and disease free and legal. I will keep you all posted but I think this may take a while.

Jimmy

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 10:29:58 pm »
Come on, folks, give a guy a break. Jimmy asked a simple question. Provided he complies with all the rules and regulations, why should we expect him to justify his choices to any of us.? Did any of you have to make excuses because you chose one breed over another ?

That is why I so rarely come on here ...... Help and advice is one thing ..... an inquisition is something else.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »
Come on, folks, give a guy a break. Jimmy asked a simple question. Provided he complies with all the rules and regulations, why should we expect him to justify his choices to any of us.? Did any of you have to make excuses because you chose one breed over another ?

That is why I so rarely come on here ...... Help and advice is one thing ..... an inquisition is something else.

Totally agree! Good luck Jimmy :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:53 am »

yes all the best jimmy. I hope it all works out very well for you. I look forward to seeing how you do with them. If you have any lambs to sell in the future could you give me a buzz?  :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:12 am »
Yeh I agree. I think if someone wants to try or do something different then best of luck to them. If breeders of yesteryear were happy with what was on offer at the time we wouldn't have the variety of breeds that are on offer today.
Sir John Buchanan-Jardine being an example, if he was happy with pure Shetlands we wouldn't have Castlemilk moorits, or English foxhounds he bred Dumfriesshire Black and Tan hounds, or English gamefowl he bred Jardine fowl.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:03 am »
Sir John Buchanan-Jardine being an example, if he was happy with pure Shetlands we wouldn't have Castlemilk moorits,

Yes, but were the Mouflon from an area where a deadly sheep disease was known to be circulating?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 10:29:27 am »

Yes a simple enough question and I don't think anyone's reply or replies amount to an inquisition? I think people have merely tried to highlight possible implications and I don't see anything wrong with that. The OP may be well aware of them or they may not.  If not they are better informed and so is anyone else who might look at the thread. There is a wealth of information and knowledge on this site but there wouldn't be if people didn't take the time to look and reply.

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:43 pm »
In reality, you are very unlikely to get import permits, unless the animals have a certified clean bill of health, and may also have to be quarantined for a time. Jimmy would certainly be made aware of all these issues prior to an import permit being granted.

As has already been stated, midges can be carried 200 miles a day by the wind, so how do you prevent that happening ? The risk from wind blown pests is far greater than the import of animals that will have been carefully inspected by a qualified veterinary. People may be xenophobic, but disease is not.

Another possibility to consider is to import Mouflon semen, and AI some Soays.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS