Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mouflon  (Read 10422 times)

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
Mouflon
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:03:25 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for some Mouflon sheep for something a little different. Does anybody know anyone keeping them in the UK? Could they be imported from Europe? I've been searching but so far found nothing.

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Mouflon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:24:20 pm »
A little different in what way? And why not go for one of the many breeds we already have in the country? What do you want to do with them?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »
I wouldnt recommend importing atm, bluetongue is pretty bad in Europe.Would [member=29066]Tim W[/member]  know?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »
Depending on what you're trying to go, might Castlemilk Moorits be close enough?  The breed was created from crossing Shetlands, Manx Loaghtans and the wild Mouflon.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:14 pm »
Hi Jimmy- I saw some a year or two ago in Lincs- 3 beautiful rams...and I believe were actually owned by someone with an Iron Age settlement visitor attraction(?) somewhere in The Fens. The person housing them was a bit cagey that they actually had them! You would need a DWA licence and fences would have to be very high and handling could be a bit tricky- similar to deer housing I would have thought...plenty of US breeders. I keep Castlemilk Moorits which, as said, are close-ish to Mouflon (see my ram for sale on the sales page). I think it would be interesting to make them even more wild-type by introducing a greater %age of Mouflon (although some are actually pretty good in terms of look- particularly when shorn). Or what about true Mouflon patterned, normal-horned Soay sheep (again US web sites show a few breeders). It would be interesting to hear if you do indeed track some down as I would be interested in an F1 with a Castlemilk!
cheers,

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:33 pm »
Thank you for all your reply's.

I keep wild boar so I'm up to date with all the DWA licensing requirements and the hassle that comes with it. I'm sure handling them will be easy in comparison to wild boar.

I'm after pure Mouflon if possible as I think the meat will compliment the boar meat well and  should sell well alongside the boar. I had thought about crosses but like the boar I don't think you can beat the real thing.

Jimmy

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:02:29 pm »
Mouflon are wild animals, living in the mountains of Europe.  They would not be happy living in the lush lowlands in Suffolk  :o  The American version is the Bighorn sheep and again lives in the high mountains.   As Fieldfare points out you would need a permit to import and keep a wild animal, along with all its safeguards and regulations, inspections etc and with no experience of keeping wild animals it just isn't going to happen.

Soay are mouflon patterned, as are Castlemilk Moorits and Gulmoget Shetlands, although none have the big horns of the native animal.

Cross posted with Jimmy84:  I think wild mouflon are a completely different kettle of fish to wild boar which are very common.  The welfare of your animals should come long before your commercial needs and I can't see how a wild, mountain creature would ever be happy in any environment you could provide.  I sound negative because I am  :(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:06:35 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:52 pm »
Mouflon are wild animals, living in the mountains of Europe.  They would not be happy living in the lush lowlands in Suffolk  :o  The American version is the Bighorn sheep and again lives in the high mountains.   As Fieldfare points out you would need a permit to import and keep a wild animal, along with all its safeguards and regulations, inspections etc and with no experience of keeping wild animals it just isn't going to happen.

Soay are mouflon patterned, as are Castlemilk Moorits and Gulmoget Shetlands, although none have the big horns of the native animal.

I think you should read my previous post.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »

I think you should read my previous post.

Yes I cross-posted with your last post and have now modified mine.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Jimmy 84

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:16:15 pm »
Hi Jimmy- I saw some a year or two ago in Lincs- 3 beautiful rams...and I believe were actually owned by someone with an Iron Age settlement visitor attraction(?) somewhere in The Fens. The person housing them was a bit cagey that they actually had them! You would need a DWA licence and fences would have to be very high and handling could be a bit tricky- similar to deer housing I would have thought...plenty of US breeders. I keep Castlemilk Moorits which, as said, are close-ish to Mouflon (see my ram for sale on the sales page). I think it would be interesting to make them even more wild-type by introducing a greater %age of Mouflon (although some are actually pretty good in terms of look- particularly when shorn). Or what about true Mouflon patterned, normal-horned Soay sheep (again US web sites show a few breeders). It would be interesting to hear if you do indeed track some down as I would be interested in an F1 with a Castlemilk!
cheers,

I will see if I can hunt the man down in the Fenns as they are not far from me. I will keep you posted as to how I get on. I'm sure if they can survive in the Fenns they will be OK in Suffolk.

Jimmy

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:23:10 am »
I wouldnt recommend importing atm, bluetongue is pretty bad in Europe.Would [member=29066]Tim W[/member]  know?

Recent reports are that BTV spread has slowed a little but we are only just entering the danger time ---it only takes a few days of favourable wind patterns to bring the midges all the way to UK. It also takes 6 weeks from 1st vaccination to get any protection---so panicing once BTV hits the UK is likely a waste of time for those in the south

Mouflon? I know of people in Germany that have used them in breeding programmes

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:59:56 am »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:10 am »
Factfile

"Unlike most sheep, female mouflon only have two teats......" :o

On my way out the door to check my sheep    mouflon
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »
All the sheep I've ever kept in my life have only had two teats!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 12:57:22 pm »
A midge can be blown 200 miles in a day if the conditions are right.  My neighbours and I have just given our sheep the first of the two Bluetongue vaccinations in a small but determined effort to create a firebreak between the east and south of England and Wales.  I cannot begin to begin to tell you how totally ****** off we would be if we found BTV8 had been introduced by sheep imported for their novelty value when we have so many and so varied breeds already here, some of which are on the RBST Critical list.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS