Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sawdust Smoker  (Read 2355 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Sawdust Smoker
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:57 am »
We have recently purchased a small 'dustbin' style smoker. Initial results have been good but the last lot of sawdust/shavings we bought seem reluctant to burn. We've tried starting with fire-lighters,  using a blow-lamp and have even tried cutting slots in the back of the basket and the drum and positioning a fan to give a draught. At best they will burn for about half an hour. Any ideas/suggestions?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Sawdust Smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:06 am »
I suspect they may be damp? (many people use smoke dust on top of a charcoal BBQ, so moisture content wouldn't be an issue). I would try drying some in the bottom of a low oven for a while, and see if that makes any difference.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
Thanks Womble, I'll try that. One other question; I usually run the smoker with the lid but if I remove it the draught seems to improve the burn rate. I assume I'll have to smoke for longer if I'm not using the lid?

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:29 pm »
We've got something called a proq cold smoke generator and have found in our home made smoker we actually have to dampen the sawdust to stop it catching fire. Basically the heat comes from a tea light to start it smouldering and it keeps going after you remove the tealight. We've had most success when we've excluded as much draught as possible and have successfully smoked for more than 12 hours from one small amount of sawdust. If you Google proq cold smoke generator you'll be able to see what I mean.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »
^ Ditto. We also have a ProQ smoke generator (pictured below), and find it works very well. We tend to initially light it with a blowtorch though, rather than a tea-light, and find it works best if we seal everything up.

For cold smoking (that is what you're attempting, right?), I think you want a slow burn / smoulder, and the highest smoke concentration possible.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS