Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giant wasps  (Read 3518 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Giant wasps
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:10:49 pm »
Just spotted a huge wasp flying round my kitchen. I didn't like the look of it so reached for the fly and wasp spray. I try to avoid using that as much as possible but i  decided this was a necessity. Having dispatched it, I googled it and found this. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/18/deadly-asian-hornets-that-devour-bees-and-can-kill-humans-arrive/

Other news says that they have been spotted in Telford so mine is not the first.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Giant wasps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:14 pm »
Aieee - I was stung by an ordinary hornet years ago and that hurt like mad.  I've come to terms with wasps which I now quite like, but that monster, no - I hope it's too cold and wet for them up here.  Be on your guard MGM - there could be a nest close by.  Imagine the crunch if you squashed that  :o.   I wonder if you would be allergic to its sting if you are already allergic to wasp stings, or is it a different venom?  Or could you be fine with wasps but go into anaphylaxis with the hornet?
Be safe.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:44 am »
we've got a nest of hornets in a chimney.. active at night and smashing into windows. One got into the bedroom and I got stung a few days ago. It ddn't hurt that much but the swelling is still there.
Exterminators arrive tomorrow.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:25:17 am »
ooohhhh dear MGM sounds bad. It may be good to inform someone locally about seeing on and maybe, I thinking pest control, they cld have a look around to see if there is indeed a nest of them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:38 am »
*shudder* I had 3 hornets fly into my kitchen about this time last year at 5am when I opened the back door. They scared the bejeebers out of me. Strangely, unlike wasps, they were attracted to the light so I managed to tempt them out by switching the outside light on and the kitchen light off. Woke me up quicker than a coffee would have!
pgkevet- hope you get yours sorted soon!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:31 am »
Asian hornets have yellow legs, sting for no reason and then lay a pheromone trail so the rest of the swarm can find and attack you. There have been several deaths in France. European bees haven't evolved the necessary defence mechanism against them attacking a hive, which is to completely envelop them and raise their body temperature to the point that they die.

European hornets with black legs are pretty harmless- we have them around us all the time and have never been stung. They are EU protected and quite a tourist attraction at one camp site in Germany.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:02 am »
Chap came today and used a long pole and pressure bottle to puff the chimney with powder. Activity down to zero an hour later.
Apparently he gets around 4 hornet calls a year but this year has had several more. £50.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
There is a harmless giant wasp, unfortunately it does attack bees.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:21 am »
I think this one had black legs so may have been harmless. I didn't fancy waiting to find out. It was buzzing, quite loudly at that, round the kitchen lights so there was less risk of the dogs trying to catch it which they do with flies but I was taking no chances. I haven't seen any since so hopefully it was a lone one.

I'm not allergic to wasps stings but these may be different. The reported deaths have been due to anaphylactic shock.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:46:50 am »
I think that the aisian hornet has made it accros the channel, but i dont think that it will be over yout neck of the woods for a year or two. There should be some advice on the BBKA website about catching thrm

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:16 pm »
But what would these hornets do to you chrismahon, once they had tracked you down and killed you. Would they eat you? Or would their grubs!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 11:52:41 pm »
Just been visited by our second Asian Hornet. While trying to get a definite description, I found this site which says they should be reported so I have done so. http://www.nonnativespecies.org/alerts/index.cfm?id=4

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 06:24:59 am »
I don't think these Asian Hornets do anything other than sting you Devonlady, presumably because they see a potential threat to them. The problem is the number of times you would get stung.

The bee keepers here are on a constant lookout for them and inspect the hives, which are in various woodland sites, every day. One chap interviewed by the local TV spends all day sitting by his hives waiting- pretty boring I expect! But it only takes two Asian hornets to wipe out a European bee hive and I've seen film of them doing it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS