Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MV Accred.  (Read 1351 times)

samdon

• Joined Aug 2016
MV Accred.
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:36 am »
Hi,

New to the forums! Just a quick question- my current flock aren't MV accredited, however I have my beady eye on three girls who are.

Would I be able to purchase the MV accredited sheep although the rest of the flock aren't?

Thanks

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: MV Accred.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:33:37 am »
should be able to, I don't see why not, but you wouldn't be able to call them MV as they wouldn't be on the MV system if they came into your flock. I buy MV tups all the time and have had sheep from MV stock. You can but you can't then say they're MV on your holding, once they are on your pastures they are no longer MV, but you can say they came from MV stock. Hope this helps  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

samdon

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:35:24 am »
Thanks, that's great and what I thought. I would imagine it's different if you are adding non MV to a MV flock which would then have greater effect!

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:07:38 pm »
Correct, you can add MV sheep to a non-MV flock but those sheep immediately lose their MV status.

However if you were MV accredited and decided to buy in non-MV sheep, you'd have to follow a lot of quarantine and testing rules and wouldn't be able to integrate them with your flock until they had two clear MV blood tests.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS