Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken Leg  (Read 7162 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Broken Leg
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:17 am »
One of my pygmy nannies broke her leg last week trying to climb a chicken pen ::) .  The leg was completely broken at the ankle, so I took her straight to the vets, and they put a splint in and bandaged it up.  It is working well as I went back to the vets last night to have the splint replaced and it looks like it's improving. 
The vets have said to keep her on her own in a small pen where she can only just turn round, and I also have to take her to the vets once a week to have the splint replaced.
Has any one else had an experience with a broken leg?  It seems very expensive having the splint changed every week and it could be anything from 2 months onwards until healed.  Also, I'm not sure about keeping her on her own in a very small pen?  :-\ My vets do seem good, although they don't have much experience with goats.
any help much appreciated.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Broken Leg
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:35:05 pm »
The small pen will be to stop her hooning around until the break has healed enough. The change of splint is to check and prevent pressure sores. Legs can heal well and I know of at least one dairy goat that went on to have a successful show career after a fracture.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:13:53 pm »
[member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] has been through this recently
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »
If she is usually with other goats I would put another goat in pen right next to her, so they can see/sniff etc each other and that way she will not be on her own. However I can see the vet's point of her being in pen the size that doesn't allow any jumping about, and also not in with others to make sure she doesn't fight etc...

Hope she heals, I have no idea how often the splint would have to be changed, but IMO it is usually better to check regularly... also our vets do not charge the full consultation fee if they see an animal on repeat visits with the same original problem.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:49:29 pm »
 I had a lamb with a broken leg and took it to the vet. She put a caste on it (no splint) and said to bring it back in 4 weeks, which I did, to have the splint removed. Cost me £40 (+vat)
 I cannot see why you would need the splint changing every week. My lamb was at a fast growing stage and managed for 4 weeks without it gettin too tight, and after that the leg was fine.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:51 pm »
Goats are very fine haired and fine skinned, so cast rubs could be more likely, hence the vet erring on the side of caution to make sure there are no cast sores (which can cause death of skin and tissues and loss of the leg at their worst) by changing weekly. They may also be concerned about the joint fusing, or not healing well if near the ankle so regular checks can allow them to change angles etc quickly during the healing process. They're also giving her all the best chances by recommending restricting movement. You may find after a couple if changes they'd be happy to leave it longer between checks or leave it off as soon as stable.
I recently cast a shearling ewe and left the cast on for 4 weeks, she did have some mild cast rubs but was stable enough at 4 weeks to leave it off.
Hope your wee girl is feeling better soon.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:40 pm »
Had Anglo Nubian 8 months old, fore leg broken at the ankle.
Stabled and splinted with several changes resulted in a sound recovery. Think changed something like 4 times in 3-4 weeks. Then think was bandaged for a while, but may not remember quite right.
Very helpful having a friend next door who's a vet and loves goats
 - if you're reading: 'Thankyou for fixing him!'

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:26 am »
Thank you for all the replies.  It sounds like my vets know what they are doing!
She hasn't tried to use the broken leg yet but I think the vets will take the splint out when she starts using it. 
I don't think she is very well as not eating as much as usual and also doesn't call for the other goats.  I have given her a bit more space now, as she isn't active enough to try jumping, she's either sitting or standing still.
Just hoping for a quick recovery!
Also, would it harm to put her in kid this year?  I presume the leg would have healed well enough by the time she has that extra weight?!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »
Goats are terrible patients... can you tempt her with some extra special treats? And she may just miss her friends!

Also did your vet give her an anti-inflammatory injection/painkiller? She is probably in quite a bit of pain!

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
and noisy patients too!!
I give her fresh leaves every day and she has hay which she hasn't had all summer.
She can hear her friends but it isn't possible to put her in a pen where she can see them - unless I build a new shelter.

On the first visit to the vets, they gave her pain killers but not when they changed the splint. 

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »
I would definitely give her company rather than worry about seeing the others !! I too had a BT type kid that broke a leg, back one, vet said you may have to stand her up to pee etc !! She took off around the covered yard with her mates on three legs with the plastered one stuck out at the back!!  She didn't put proper weight on it until the cast was removed and it wasn't changed. You would never know there had been anything wrong !! :roflanim:

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 11:17:41 am »
She now has company, outside with her other firends and she seems to be better ;D
I am keeping an eye on her, but she doesn't try and use her bad foot so I'm hoping there isn't much movement there.  She also hasn't been trying to jump anything so she should be able to stay with her mates!
The vets did say not to get the bandage damp - would this be an issue?  I don't think there is any moisture in the ground at all at the moment!!  :sunshine:

Pabs63

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »
We had a Boer buck kid with a broken rear leg fractured in the ankle.  We had a fibreglass cast put on. There was a soft bandage next to the skin. It was split open to check all was good at 3 weeks then reapplied and sticky bandage wrapped around the cast. I'm stayed on for other 3 weeks.  It has now been removed and he is fine. It took about a week for him to reuse his leg normally. There is a little bit of internal rotation but that has no impact. We kept him with the others (lots of kids and mothers) and he was fine and after a week could keep up with the rest. We had no problems with the cast rubbing but we did check very regularly. 

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 07:55:52 am »
Well there was some good improvement with the leg, at 5 weeks it had healed so the vet took the splint off and just left it bandaged - once this was done, things have gone down hill. 
The vet has now put the splint back on but she does not use her leg at all. 
I have now been given 4 doses of metacam which will last 8 days, to try and get her to use her leg again and we will have to make a decision after that.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 08:28:13 am »
Sorry to hear that.  Hope all goes well.  :fc: :hshoe:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS