Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken Leg  (Read 7141 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Broken Leg
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:59 am »
Sometimes these things don't work out.... and if she is intended for breeding you have to take into consideration any weight/strain she would need to put on the leg in future... hope things improve.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:55 am »
Thank you.
She kidded this year and I was hoping to keep her for future breeding too, but (thinking negatively) if the leg doesn't improve and she is left with 3 legs, it wouldn't be fair to breed from her would it?
I have been warned that she will always have a limp even if the leg does heel.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 12:46:00 pm »
If she isn't using that leg it would not be fair to put her in kid again... even with a limp I personally wouldn't let a goat kid again. But your vet will be able to advise.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:33 pm »
It is still early days. I broke my leg and still managed to have a child.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 09:54:35 pm »
Thanks for that scarlet dragon, it was very useful.  I told my vet about what you said and they have suggested that I take the bandage and splint off, and just see how things go....but I can't get the bandage off so I'll be going to the vets tomorrow!!
 :fc: she starts using her leg.
The vets next suggestion is to have an x-ray done, but I'm not sure this will help much!

So at the moment, there's no improvement although the vet said the broken part of leg has healed.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 08:08:23 am »
I took her to the vets last night to have the bandage removed for good (I was worried about doing it myself), and we felt the leg after bandage was off, and there was movement again where it had healed! :'( The vet needed to see what was going on, so she did an X-ray, to find that the leg had healed wrong (it wasn't straight) and there was an over lap making the whole leg shorter than the other 3.  At the place it was broken, there was a huge callas which you can feel. (Sorry I don't know any of the technical words)
There's no more the vet can do, the goat will never use that leg again but she said it will be happy living on 3 legs.  If there are any problems, or it looks like it's in pain, then I will need to have her PTS. :(
It's not a great end, but I still have her, and the vets have been very helpful and done all they can,

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 10:10:20 am »
What a shame  :hug:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 12:15:46 pm »
Sorry it wasn't better news. I once visited a commercial goat herd and one of their goats had her whole leg amputated and ran around as much as the others. I had to have a second look to be sure she only had three. I'm sure your goat will be the same.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
I have never heard of "goat insurance", but maybe there is for pygmies.

TBH - these things happen, and to break her leg again and re-plaster it would probably come into the "cruel" category (in my book). If she is currently happy to get around on three legs, she may well start to use her 4th in time to some degree, but I would agree with the vet that putting her in kid may not be an option... so unless you can guarantee her a non-breeding life at your place it would be kinder to have pts (as you cannot predict what any new owner may do with her).

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 01:30:33 pm »
Thanks all, I have made the decision no to ask the vets to retry fixing the leg, and don't want to complain to them about the mistake they made - as they are very good!  They have told me she will be fine on 3 legs so I will leave her to have a happy life.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS