Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP!...trying to find a wormer for 2 pet pygmies!  (Read 2409 times)

Caroline Julia

• Joined Aug 2016
HELP!...trying to find a wormer for 2 pet pygmies!
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:25 pm »
There seems to be NOTHING in this great land of ours that is approved for goats...(in spite of the fact  that Ivermectin is in other countries) I used it before new legislation came in, when it had "goat" written on the bottle...but now the same thing can only be sold for sheep. My vet won't prescribe it....because it doesn't say "goat" in the blurb! Good grief...anyone got any advice out there? Thanks x

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: HELP!...trying to find a wormer for 2 pet pygmies!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:47:24 pm »
Speak to your vet again, as vets are allowed to prescribe drugs under "the cascade" which means that we can prescribe something that is only licensed for another species - which is essential for goats as there is nothing licensed for worming!
It may be worth getting them to do a worm egg count in a faecal sample first, as it doesn't sound like they do a lot of large animal work so may only be able to sell you much much more wormer than you would need for two pygmies.
If your vets aren't even able to offer worm egg counts (they can send it to the lab if they don't have the kit to do in house) and/or wormer, I would advise changing vets as they may not be much help if you have an emergency!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:42 am »
I agree with fsmnutter. do not be afraid to change your vet if they are not giving you what you need  - you are the customer :-)
We had to change ours and it is one of the best decisions we made.
Egg count is a good idea also as it can throw up some surprising results (good and bad) which may change the treatment you give them anyway
Good luck

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:24 am »
Agree with above comments - also suggest that your vet contacts the Goat Veterinary Society for advice. 
http://www.bing.com/search?q=goat+veterinary+society&form=IE10TR&src=IE10TR&pc=DCJB

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:57 pm »
I agree with all of the above....you will find that there isn't anything much if anything at all for goats other than lambivac !! Even antibiotics ,I also agree that you should get a FEC done to see if they need worming..don't just worm because you think you should !! Also agree that if your vet isn't helpful, change ,talk to others in your area with goats or find a vet with an interest in them it will be worth it in the long run  :sunshine:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:02 am »
Lambivac isn't even licensed in goats anymore!

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:03:21 am »
Hi Caroline Julia,
Have you looked into trying diatomaceous earth? It is quite a natural, non-toxic substance that works by clogging the exoskeleton of parasites and dehydrating them. There are also other ways by which it works apparently. You can mix it into your goat's feed. But I don't know the amount or how often. If you are still desperate for a wormer maybe you could give it a try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS