Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Did anyone listen to the news at all?  (Read 3903 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Did anyone listen to the news at all?
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
How sad and depressing the news has been, it always generally is but this time it was terrible. 2 Families have been killed in the sea, the first family it was the dad which has been killed by being swept out, in cornwall, and the daughter they say is in a stable condition. I heard another family, although never heard of the place where it was, his dad and younger sibling where swept out to sea and him and his mother went in to rescue them, apparently only the 13 year old lad which went in to rescue them with his mum was rescued, the rest of the family drowned. I can't tell you how upset I was when I heard this news, the poor lad, I kept thinking how would he cope with seeing his family killed in front of his eyes whist he couldn't save them. Sorry guys I am tearing up here :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Did anyone listen to the news at all?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:34:19 pm »
Yes, so sad, Wbf.

And two teenage lads lost at Barmouth beach only a couple of weeks ago.    :'(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
A mother and her son killed in the sea at Aberdeen yesterday. Terrible.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »
Yes, we commented to each other about it as well, so sad.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:04:18 pm »
The police commended her other son, Samuel, who had gone to the aid of his mother and little brother, and two passers by who also tried to help.

Heartbreaking story, Aberdeen Beach looked so different to when i was a child 60 or so years ago.  Where did all those rocks come from?  I remember it even as an adult as flat sand all the way along.  Perhaps the wee lad had gone to the end of one of those outcrops to look for crabs etc, they looked like they went out quite far, and into deeper water where a big wave would be difficult to avoid.  So sad. :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:51:57 pm »
I find it sad because of the total waste of human lives.  People seem to ignore the advice of coast guards and the weather forecast.  Some people just don't think how powerful big waves are, they haven't noticed there are tides and waves of different sizes, so they get washed off rocks, or caught in rips or overestimate their swimming ability in the ocean.
As with mountain rescue teams, each time the coast guard have to rescue someone, they are risking their own lives, which they do willingly.  However, when the people needing rescued have been wilfully careless of their own or their children's lives, that must be heartbreaking for everyone concerned.
I'm not saying all those who have drowned have been careless, just that some have with enormously tragic results.
Maybe we need more education about the dangers of water.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:37:39 am »
I find it sad because of the total waste of human lives.  People seem to ignore the advice of coast guards and the weather forecast.  Some people just don't think how powerful big waves are, they haven't noticed there are tides and waves of different sizes, so they get washed off rocks, or caught in rips or overestimate their swimming ability in the ocean.
As with mountain rescue teams, each time the coast guard have to rescue someone, they are risking their own lives, which they do willingly.  However, when the people needing rescued have been wilfully careless of their own or their children's lives, that must be heartbreaking for everyone concerned.
I'm not saying all those who have drowned have been careless, just that some have with enormously tragic results.
Maybe we need more education about the dangers of water.
Sorry to disagree. As regards Mountain rescue, sometimes they are needed despite the expertise of the  person being rescued.  My husband was a mountain leader.  H was climbing on Lochnagar with the Cairngorm climbing club when a snow cornice fell off and threw him down a bare gully.  Not his fault, he was well prepared, well equipped.  Accidents happen.
As to Aberdeen beach - as I said I remember it as flat - a very safe beach, where those rocks came from i have no idea but to me that could be an attraction for children and for them to be at risk.  So sometimes it is just an accident.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:37:40 am »
Agreed, Annie but then again, I read today of a woman who was rescued by the life boat after being cut off by the tide, THREE times in FOUR days at the same place. She was eventually taken to the coastguard station and given a telling off.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:23:19 am »
MGM I heard that news as well, now that IS foolish, and a waste of precious time and money. I think the phrase was something like a 'comprehensive training on safety' (or something similar :-), )

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:10:14 am »
Perhaps an invoice for the third time would be viable in such circumstances.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 07:56:58 am »
Agreed, Annie but then again, I read today of a woman who was rescued by the life boat after being cut off by the tide, THREE times in FOUR days at the same place. She was eventually taken to the coastguard station and given a telling off.

Perhaps she fancied the lifeboatman! People do not know the force of large wave, some think it will break harmlessly over them and be a bit of fun. I know this as I was crew of the Cadgwith inshore lifeboat many years ago and have seen people take huge risks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:33 am »
Perhaps an invoice for the third time would be viable in such circumstances.
I totally agree with this. And also mountain rescue - once can be an accident - as it was with John, but had he survived and had to be rescued again I would have expected a huge bill. As it was we raised over £2000 for  the Cairngorm team.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »
I was already thinking that it sounds as though she was doing it on purpose, and that she perhaps was getting a thrill out of being rescued by the burly rescuers.

MGM I heard that news as well, now that IS foolish, and a waste of precious time and money. I think the phrase was something like a 'comprehensive training on safety' (or something similar :-), )

A proper good spanking, perhaps?   :innocent:

Sorry, feel free to delete if I've crossed the line...  Where's that horny little :devil: emotiwotsit it gone?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 12:53:06 pm »
Careful Sally, don't be giving us ideas- we'll all want rescuing  ;D
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »
I've seen a few teen-age girls (holiday makers, we would have had an assing!) climb the cliffs and get "stuck" in the hope of being rescued by a handsome coastguard or, better still, the helicopter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS