Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys for dummies  (Read 2929 times)

Lottie

• Joined Aug 2016
  • North Aberdeenshire
Turkeys for dummies
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:18:40 pm »
I was just pondering the idea of raising our own Christmas dinner one year but not knowing anything about turkeys I thought I would ask the experts for a 'turkeys for dummies' summary.

How difficult are turkeys to look after?  Can they free range in the day or would they just wander off? What do you house them in? We've got stables and barns but I'm not sure if turkeys would need something purpose built or whether somewhere to perch/roost in one of these would be ok? Sorry for what are probably stupid questions but any info would be much appreciated, thanks :-)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:00:58 pm by Lottie »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkeys for dummies
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:16:12 pm »
I breed Narragansett turkeys for conservation purposes.  I find turkeys easier to keep than other types of poultry.  They reach maturity on less feed than L/F chickens and don't do the pecking order stuff.  If you buy in poults in the Autumn they can be kept in a well ventilated shed or stable with a run. Feed them turkey growers to start with then move them over gradually to chicken layer pellets.  I provide a half-round fence rail about 30cm off the ground.  Foxes and badgers will take them, given half a chance.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 05:25:33 pm »
Turkeys are easy enough to look after, though very young poults can be prone to dying of chills so need a heat lamp for a while. Mine always free ranged during the day and were shut in a shed with perches at night. They need perches to be all on the same level, though mine preferred  the shed to the inside!
A stable would be ideal as long as they have something to perch on.
Not stupid but very sensible and responsible questions!

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »
I was under the impression that turkeys can pick up diseases from chickens and because of that you should keep them very well separated.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
Are you thinking of "blackhead" this is a parasite that can be transmitted to turkeys from chickens, but worming will sort that out.
I kept chickens, ducks, geese, guinea fowl and turkeys for years, all together and never had a problem. I dissolved garlic granules in their drinking water and think this helped.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »
turkey are poultry same principle - in safe at night out on pasture in day.  Protect from fox and use electric fence.  Turkeys eat a lot of food and therefore if your going to sell then you need to be aware of costs.  Well over £50 a bird but if you raise your own then even better.  We always had day olds but ideal if you could get fattners now - cyril Bason etc.  No hassle with chick crumbs and lights for 1 or 2. This is costly if you want a few birds thats why better sourcing older birds. Straw bedding.

I always go for kelly bronze variety - better taste. But there is a lot of science to the breed, sex and when you buy to work out oven ready birds.  Try and kill yourself and must hang for a week in fridge (hate tasteless birds)dress.

Read about feeding well - for us organic feeds and finish properly you need the layers of fat - bone dry turkeys are not for me.

I did have an outbreak as mycoplasma so watch as wild birds spread disease.

Great fun turkeys great comedy personalities.

I would raise 2 or more.  If anything did happen its too much of a blow if you are left with more you can either freeze it for easter or sell.

Def pay attention to the feeding and quality of feed.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:45 pm »
As everyone has said: much the same routine as chickens but they are daft birds that'll stay out and get wet and cold as poults given the opportunity and don't put themselves to bed at night so need herding in. They also instinctively roost in trees and anything high if you don't shut them in before they decide it's bedtime. Mine would roost on top of my shed given half a chance. They were safe there, but not good fo legs when they "flutter" down.

They free range nicely but I started mine off penned until I thought they were old enough to have a little bit of sense.

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:21 am »
I am not sure mine ever got any sense.  If they found themselves on the wrong side of a fenceline they could never work out how to get back.  And they did love to roost on top of the shed whatever the weather and then call noisily in the morning if they couldn't see the others.  Great characters though.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
And, beware, they have very expressive, almost "human" eyes and you can get very fond of them!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 02:54:25 pm »
They have obvious eyelashes - like Rod Hull's Emu.

They are quite charming and amusing.  It makes the coming of Christmas a rather heart-wrenching affair...

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:54:59 pm »
I've been on the RBST turkey training at Heritage Turkeys today and had a fab time- can't wait to eat the 6 growers I've got a school from Cyril Bason (sorry turkeys) and get a conservation gang going (it was the Narragansett that kept drawing my eye, too!)

The commercials ones are lovely, dim but clever at the same time. I.e. follow you round anywhere and everywhere apart from going to bed when you would like them to!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS