Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: two late lambs in poor condition  (Read 3213 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
two late lambs in poor condition
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:46 am »
I have two lambs we have pulled off ewes one was a twin the other mum has cut udder.  They both looked malnourished so hand feeding.  There was another one but that huge and gone back in now.  I have run out of lambs replacer milk and only have calf milk - bay states 125g per 1litre lambs is usually 200g to 1 litre.  I cant get an answer on Farmers Forums.  Seeing that some of you feed raw jersey milk with no side effects I would think this is ok.  Sadly both are not looking good.  I have drenched them and baycox but still one is very hunched up. Not taking a lot of milk should be taking a full bottle by now.

Experienced sheep farmers help me out here - I dont want to go buying another bag of lamb replacer to see little improvement - am I missing something?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: two late lambs in poor condition
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:52:05 am »
You can't just switch them from sheep's milk to cow's milk, they time need to adapt.  Feed a bit of calves milk mixed into one feed for a few days - add some probiotic yoghurt too, I would - then add it into another feed for a couple of days, then half and half for a few days, then try them on all calves' milk.  And be aware that once their systems are used to 100% cows' milk, they would need the same gradual introduction to go back to ewes' milk.

However, swapping them onto powdered calf milk - which is probably just about as unlike fresh, raw Jersey milk as it is ewes' milk! - when they're already compromised doesn't sound very sensible to me, sorry.   

I would put both of them on Pfizer Scour Formula for 24 hours to clear their systems, address any scouring, and give them then minerals, vitamins and electrolytes they need.  You can keep them on that for 48 hours if you need to, which will give you time to find a neighbour who has some lamb milk left over ;).   Or to get a new, small bag; you can keep what you don't use till next year, if you keep it well sealed up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:09:00 pm »
I wouldn't put them on calf milk powder , buy a small bag of lamb milk and if you don't use it it will keep until next years lambing , have about 6kg in a cupboard sealed my self

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »
ok cheers, Ill have to go out and buy another bag of lambs milk then.  My other lamb did well on it but will sort out quickly. 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »
 I have used calf milk for lambs, but at the higher rate, as you mentioned.
 I didn't have any problems with switching, as I believe they are both derived from cows milk anyway.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 04:24:32 pm »
 I didn't have any problems with switching, as I believe they are both derived from cows milk anyway.

Depends on the lamb milk.  The one we use is actually made from ewes' milk.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:41:39 pm »
Goat milk if you can get it usually does well for lambs, but, as said, do it gradually.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 09:13:27 am »
How old are the lambs?  Did they have their navels dipped in iodine? Did they have colostrum in the first six hours after birth?  Did their dams have a booster dose of Heptavac in the month before lambing?  Had their dams been fed an 18% protein feed in the six weeks before lambing?  Were they turned out onto pasture not used for lamb turnout the previous year? 

If the answer to any of the above is "No" they could be suffering from any of the clostridial diseases, navel or joint ill, poor milk intake, a high worm burden ....

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 12:00:25 pm »
rehydion drench, or similar elctrolyte gel , get them half a bottle of it.  if they wont drink get it all into them via stomach tube.  any which way as long as it all goes in, echo eveyone else could be absolutely anthing. Ccombivit too? 

so hydrate first, are they loose?? 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »

Depends on the lamb milk.  The one we use is actually made from ewes' milk.
Sally what brand is it you use? I am using shine lamb milk powder for mine which contains ewes milk too. You have me curious  ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 01:00:12 pm »
Ours is called Downland.  It's the own brand of our local Animal Health and Feeds co, Jobsons.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS