Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning wheel  (Read 1911 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Spinning wheel
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:50:49 pm »
local second hand furniture store has this for sale, does it look any good? It is very cheap and I wondered if it was worth buying, time I learnt to spin! :spin:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:52:58 pm by Daisys Mum »
Anne

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:43:49 pm »
Not a very useful reply I guess since I would have to say I don't know!  I can't really see enough of it in the photo and it certainly looks like it is home made or at least has been cobbled together from more than one. Is there anyone near you who can check it out for you?  I have enjoyed learning to spin but it is quite tricky to start with and you kinda need to know that everything is working right unless you have an engineers mind.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:21:40 pm »
It's missing the flyer and bobbins, and I don't recognise it as a standard make.  So, unless they have the flyer and bobbins out of shot, it's worthless for spinning.  Some people do fall in love with wheels that lack their flyer and bobbins, buy them and get a wheel maker to make the missing parts for them, but with a non-standard make, it can cost as much to get a bespoke flyer and set of bobbins made as to buy a perfectly serviceable secondhand wheel.

If you're ready to start to spin, Daisys Mum, it really isn't difficult to come across a decent wheel at a reasonable price... 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:28 pm »
As above - don't buy it as there's nothing to actually spin with.  Take your time and choose a wheel, new or second hand, that you find comfortable and easy to understand - which means easy to adjust.  Also choose one you like the looks of.   If you try to learn to spin on a less than perfect wheel, you will just put yourself off before you start.
The Ashford Traditional is an inexpensive, easy to use wheel, which is freely available both new and second hand, and many spinners use them so will be able to help you out with any problems  :spin:

And yes, you're right - it's time you learnt to spin  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:19:32 pm »
Looks like the flyer is sitting on the bottom at the back, but I'm not sure I see bobbins!
I have a beautiful handmade castle wheel that is similar to that, but it needs more bobbins (only came with 1), so I'll get chance to use it when the other half eventually has time to make bobbins (time?!!)!
But it is much easier to spin on a new/known model that has not got the kinks and quirks of the traditional handmade.
Definitely learn to spin, but try some wheels if you can, and get a known make as there are plenty people who can help troubleshoot problems and replacement parts available.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »
Thank you all for your replys, I'll give it a miss!
Anne

HomefieldHens

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:08:32 am »
Hello - I'm near you - I use an Ashfod traditional - you'd be welcome to come and have a play - pm me if interested.
Juliet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS