Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heb losing hair around her eyes  (Read 2789 times)

Mo Fraser

• Joined Apr 2016
Heb losing hair around her eyes
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »
Hi, I gathered my flock in yesterday to have a look at them and I noticed one had hair loss around her eyes. It looked quite puffed up and sore, any ideas?
I've done some research, could it be lice or ring worm...?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Heb losing hair around her eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:38:31 pm »
when were they last wormed? Could we have a picture? What has her diet been like, any changes?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Mo Fraser

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:56:10 pm »
Last wormed in May, they've had tup mix for 5 weeks before lambing and a few weeks after. They've had access to a lick and are now in a big field with plenty of forage. I don't have a photo but will get one this afternoon.
Thanks for the quick reply.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 03:30:13 pm »
Could it be problems with photosensitivity?

Mo Fraser

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »
I've just spoken to a local shepherd and he's coming round to have a look tomorrow morning!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:39:00 pm »
Heaven bless good neighbours!

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:32:04 am »
I have the same problem with a couple of my shetlands and I think it's down to photosensitivity ... sometimes related to something they've eaten (apparently Bog Asphodel is a common culprit, although I haven't seen it on my ground).
I've seen mine scratching their heads on trees and gates, so it's obviously itchy and the scratching causes puffiness. I have used vaseline mixed with a small amount (literally a drop or two) of lavender and tea tree essential oils. It seems to give some relief, although don't get it in their eyes.
I did check with my vet and, short of a skin scrape and formal diagnosis, she thought this was probably the cause and a reasonable approach to treating it.
What did your shepherd friend say Mo?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS