Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Proud, but worried!  (Read 2687 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Proud, but worried!
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:26:57 pm »
Due to being rather busy all summer with puppies, I haven't done any gundog competitions this year. Popped to Lowther Game Fair on Saturday and my little spaniel qualified for the World Series Gundog Final again! It was a bit of a shock, as I had only stayed for the presentations because I feel it is rather bad form not to stay and clap when you have competed.
He qualified last year and we completely screwed up at the finals. Wouldn't be as bad if there weren't so many people watching!
While very proud of my boy, I am now going to worry about the finals for the next 4 weeks! Last year I swore to myself that I wouldn't do it again!
Now I have the same issue as last year- I have done no training with the little chap and he did fab.
So, in theory, I could leave him be and hope he does fine, or train, train, train.
The test we failed on last year involved a dummy launcher. The dummies are normally launched using a .22 blank which leaves a gunpowder scent on the dummy. The launcher they used at the final is air powered, so little dog shot off and blanked the dummy time and time again. I can only think that he was 'looking' for the gunpowder smell due to hearing the bang of the launcher.
I'm thinking maybe I could get my fella to hide and create a bang, but throw the dummy by hand, getting the dog to quit expecting the gunpowder scent from a launcher.
It all seems a bit odd to me as surely in real life you want the dog to only pick birds with a gunpowder scent?! Hey ho.  Let the panicking commence!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Proud, but worried!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:31 pm »
Well done to you both. Just shows if you do a good job of the basics they don't forget. :trophy:

Why not make some enquiries with your local gun dog trainers and see if anyone has that type of launcher.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:35 pm »
That's brilliant !
Well done to the both of you  :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »
I'm thinking maybe I could get my fella to hide and create a bang, but throw the dummy by hand, getting the dog to quit expecting the gunpowder scent from a launcher.

The dog shouldn't be scenting the gunpowder, sometimes it might be very light if the bird is a runner (lightly winged), so it's teh bird/dummy itself it should be scenting.

Yes, more dummy practice -  that's exactly what to do.  Can you borrow a gas/air fired launcher?

To start off - hide a couple of dummies a good while before going out to practice.  Do a  couple of low level retrieves well away from the hidden area - tell OH not to tell you where said dummies are hidden so you don't give pup any clues.
Then go nearer the hidden area, send pup out to hunt, being a spaniel that will be within gun range (50 yards), then OH shoots starting pistol, dog should head off and start searching.(just like a blind with shot)

Then progress onto actually throwing the dummy immediately after the shot - or better still have a third person hidden in bushes and throwing the dummy after the shot.
I can't believe you've got this far without any training, imagine what he could do if he was trained by a professional trainer - you'd be even more proud!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:22:54 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
This is brilliant news! :thumbsup: I hope all goes very well for you both and I will be at home cheering you both on, in mind of course ;D :trophy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:30:19 am »
The dog shouldn't be scenting the gunpowder, sometimes it might be very light if the bird is a runner (lightly winged), so it's teh bird/dummy itself it should be scenting.

Yes, more dummy practice -  that's exactly what to do.  Can you borrow a gas/air fired launcher?

To start off - hide a couple of dummies a good while before going out to practice.  Do a  couple of low level retrieves well away from the hidden area - tell OH not to tell you where said dummies are hidden so you don't give pup any clues.
Then go nearer the hidden area, send pup out to hunt, being a spaniel that will be within gun range (50 yards), then OH shoots starting pistol, dog should head off and start searching.(just like a blind with shot)

Then progress onto actually throwing the dummy immediately after the shot - or better still have a third person hidden in bushes and throwing the dummy after the shot.
I can't believe you've got this far without any training, imagine what he could do if he was trained by a professional trainer - you'd be even more proud!

Sorry, let me clarify; I have trained the little dog, I just meant that I have not done any training with him this year due to puppies. He does working tests and is fine picking dummies (seen and blind) to shot (usually a starter pistol, sometimes a shotgun) and has no trouble with these at all. The issue is specifically with the dummy launcher. The launcher we have is launched by a .22 as are most used in scurries etc. I can only think his issue is that he is associating the dummy launcher dummy with the gunpowder scent, and it made no sense to him when he couldn't find that scent. If the dummy had been hand thrown to shot, he wouldn't have an issue with it at all. As such, I am thinking that I need to break that associate of the launcher with the gunpowder scent.
Unfortunately not many people use the air powered ones so I can't find anyone to borrow one from. Buying one isn't an option either (even if I could afford it!) as Sporting Saint have bought out Lite Launcher who used to make them, but have discontinued them while they are being redesigned.
Going to have a play this weekend and hide OH behind the sheep shelter to fire our launcher empty and throw a dummy by hand. Shame he hasn't got 3 hands to accomplish this ;-)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:07:36 pm »
I thought that wasn't very likely - dogs aren't born trained to that level  :roflanim:

Yes, sounds a good idea - no kids/friends around to help?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:20 pm »
I thought that wasn't very likely - dogs aren't born trained to that level  :roflanim:
What is that saying "Labradors are born half trained, spaniels die half trained"! Having both, I think there is some truth in this!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »
and HPRs train their owners  :roflanim:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:57 am »
Quick update from last weekends "World Series Gundog Final". The little chap did really well. As expected, he blinked the dummy a couple of times but brought it back after a quick hunt to get through to the next round "proper". Out of the 35 qualifying dogs, I only saw 3 or 4 of them pick it straight away so it seems it wasn't just a problem with my little dog!
He won his next round, but was beaten on time in the third round. Very pleased with him indeed  :love:

Pics 10 to 31 are little Juke in the first round
http://www.countryshotsphotography.co.uk/Gamefairs-Shows/The-Midland-Game-Country-Fair/The-Chudleys-Gundog-Championsh/i-k4zWvKH

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 11:10:19 am »
Oh wow, congrats to you both! You must be so pleased with him :) Glad all went well. Maybe next time go for first place eh? ;D  :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 11:25:09 am »
Now there's a plan  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS