Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bitten by ants!  (Read 1638 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Bitten by ants!
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:07:14 pm »
Sunday morning/afternoon I was pulling up some ragwort before they cut the fields for hay. I went to lie down for a minute as it was warm and I inadvertently lay on an ants nest, brown ants, result? I was walking down the field to go inside to get a drink, about 10 mins later, and I felt tons of creepy crawlies all over my back and a horrible biting, painful it was, I walked fast to the house and changed my clothes, but my backbone just before my neck and the skin around it felt numb. I then forgot all about it, as I had gotten rid of them, but later on in the evening I was in so much angony with it irritating and itching me, I had a look and there were a few bite marks on my shoulder, tons on my chest and a few on my side. I have been dousing with witch hazel and it helps, but do I use the horsefly bite stuff which you suggested and would it help? I understand ants bites are similar to that of the horsefly, and just as irritating, could they get infected? These were brown ants. I read that they only left red marks? I also read that when they bite they spray acid over the wound, which is what probably made me feel numb. I also felt ants crawling out of my hair too. Yuck!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:17:15 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Bitten by ants!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:23:42 pm »
 I haven't tried it with ant bites, but bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) is very good for stopping bites itching. It should work well for ants because it will neutralise the acidity of the bite. To get it to stick on your skin,  mix it with a bit of cooking oil or hand cream or similar.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:58:48 pm »
Would calamine lotion not help? I got bitten a few days ago - don't know what by, and it cooled it right down.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:12:59 am »
I would take a quick acting antihistamine tablet to reduce the effects of the bites.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:04 am »
Bicarbonate of Soda made into a paste with water was the old remedy.  Don't know if it would work so late on.

When we were kids our sandpit became the home to an ant's nest - we put up with it for a couple of years then it got grassed over. How horrible for you WBF actually lying down in a nest - the ants obviously thought heaven had come.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS