Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pickling Fish  (Read 2874 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Pickling Fish
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:06:39 am »
There used to be a company in Orkney that made the most amazing sweet cured herring, sadly I think they went out of business a few years ago.

I have been trying to find a recipe to make some myself but haven't found much of use.  Does anyone here ever pickle fish (herring or mackeral)?  Care to share a method for doing it?

I have experimented a wee bit but haven't yet hit on the ideal method.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pickling Fish
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:12 am »
My mum used to make soused herring, which was cooked in the vinegar with onion and peppercorns. I don't knwo if she had a recipe but I'll have a look.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
My mum would do soused herring too.

I am more looking for something uncooked, along the lines of fish packed in a jar then covered in a pickling solution which can then be stored for weeks.  I guess like rollmop herring.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 01:28:12 pm »
It might be worth looking for Scandinavian recipes as they do lots of pickling etc. The Hairy bikers did a series from around Scandinavia last year- there might be a recipe on their website.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Skandi

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
The orkney Herring company is kaput? NOES! Not that it bothers me too much since I don't live in the country anymore, I now live in Denmark, where herring is almost a religion, and the "standard" Danish herring is the same style as the orkney stuff was, sweet and mild, I really used to like their dill version, but I did use to add more dill!
You could try this recipe (In English)
http://www.danishsandwich.com/2011/01/pickled-herring-with-danish-rye-bread.html

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 06:42:03 am »
Thanks Skandi,  that looks like what I am after.

I had tried experimenting with a very similar recipe but made the mistake of adding the liquid while it was hot.  Taste was OK, texture was awful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS