Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2110 times)

Impatient girl

• Joined Aug 2016
« on: August 14, 2016, 06:46:39 pm »
Hi
Hope nobody minds me joining this forum.
My Hubbie and I are looking to buy our first smallholding next year and I want to do as much homework as possible.
My hubbie (peter) has a farming background and I (Lesley) a gardening one so hopefully we will have some of the practical knowledge , it's going to be more the legal and everyday knowledge we will be lacking, hence my appearance on this forum hopefully I can pick up lots of tips.
Hopefully one day doing the same to another newbie

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »
Hello 'newbie' - you're very welcome! We all share here, and I imagine that between you, you'll be sharing lots of knowledge with us before you know it...
Where are you looking to move / set up?
I'm sure for lots of us the years spent planning and discussing is a HUGE part of the fun.... the anticipation of it all!
Good luck! :wave: :wave:

Impatient girl

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:26:59 pm »
Looking at wales , but it wil be more about the correct set up, at the moment we are not ruling out anywhere .

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »
Heya and welcome to the forum from Ceredigion. If you're looking to move to wales it may be worth trying the smallholding centre, very good and there are quite a few available too. All the best with your search and if you need anything feel fre to let us know! Love the name by the way ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
Welcome Lesley, I am have had mine for nearly 2 years and so much to learn, but so rewarding as well.

Any ideas what you are looking at doing or hoping to try a bit of everything?
________
Caroline

Impatient girl

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 09:56:36 pm »
We already have a veg garden at home and an allotment, so it is livestock that will be new to me , but really looking forward to it .

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:34:59 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon. Fun times ahead!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 08:37:40 am »
Hello and welcome from Fife,

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask :-)

I have had my sheep just over 2 years and still learning...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 07:41:32 am »
Welcome from Scotland  :wave: 

I like your name! Too much patience and life passes you by!
I grew up in Wales but have lived the last 10 years in Scotland and Scotland, especially north east coast wins outright as a place to live - if you've not been, worth a visit before signing up to damp Wales! (Just my opinion, but before I came up here I thought it was all deserted rocky mountains!) best of luck x
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:48:42 am by Steph Hen »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 09:01:23 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie. We're 10  miles North of Dundee; I'm from teh Clackmannanshire but Dan's originally from West Sussex, although he's been here for more years than he's not and is a Scot by choice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS