Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Effective lice removal  (Read 1958 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Effective lice removal
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »
Our 4 weaners suddenly seemed to get a massive lice infestation - one day I saw a couple on each weaner and then it seemed like the next day each pig had about 20.
An effective method to control them is to use vegetable oil - spray it on the neck and behind the ears and basically anywhere you see the lice - the oil clogs up the spiracles of the lice effectively suffocating them.
The day after doing this to our pigs they were back to being lice free :)
I got this tip from our vet who said they could prescribe a medication but the smallest amount he could give us was sufficient for a commercial pig herd so basically a massive waste. He said the oil would work fine and it seems to just fine  :thumbsup:
I've used it on all our batches of pigs with great success :trophy:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Effective lice removal
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:24:03 am »
Yep, I know of someone with a chippy who used his old oil for just this purpose! Also know of someone else who used his old sump oil but I prefer the chip oil! Pig oil does the same thing.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:53:27 am »
I believe some vets will dispense a small amount of off-licence cattle pour on for the purpose.

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
Buy ivomec ...treat 14 days later as eggs hatch

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS