Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pigs?  (Read 2777 times)

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
Poorly pigs?
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:40:45 pm »
Hiya!

So, I have ahd my two girls since january with full intentions of breeding them this summer. I have struggled go find a boar and now its too late in the season as i dont really want piglets in november! So, the girls are living a happy life until next when they have got work to do. Most mornings they are noisy and chase me up t.he fence for breakfast and dinner, but in the last week they have become very quiet. They are being picky with their food and are not really getting up much. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

HappyHippy

Re: Poorly pigs?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:03 pm »
It could be any number of things - environmental, viral or bacterial (and impossible to diagnose on the net) check their temperature - if it's raised call the vet.
It *might* be because they're coming into season, but it could also be 101 other things, without seeing the pigs it's really impossible to say - sorry!

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:52 am »
Thank you for your reply. Have you got any ideas what the best way to safely take their temperature they aren't the happiest of girlies at the moment.. Don't fancy a pig bite!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:02:45 am »
Subdued, not eating, not happy and not usually like this then get the vet. Get them today because otherwise it will be the weekend and cost you more.

How old are they?

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:14:35 am »
I am going to take temperature today, they are 10 months old. They are eating but just not their usual noisy selves

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:49 am »
The only way I know to take their temperature is a thermometer in the rectum  :innocent: A wee cheap digital one from your local chemist is ideal.
Cover it with some lubricant or a little bit of veggie oil and do it when they're eating (a head scratch was always enough to keep ours still) it should be somewhere between 38.5 and 39.6.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:21:45 am »
What breed are they and when should they be brimming?

When are you planning on serving them? Start thinking ahead otherwise you might find they get too fat and you miss getting them into pig.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
Have they ever been wormed?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:29:57 pm »
If a native breed I'd not leave them over 14 months without putting them in pig.  Is their water supply OK? 

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 10:13:29 pm »
The are oxford sandy and black x large white. My plan was to put them in pig a few months ago but vet said that they werent quite big enough? Fresh clean water everyday, fed sow nuts and veg  twice a day. They are my first pigs so i have been learning along the way. If i put them in pig now my piglets would be born in december, is that a good idea? No i havent ever wormed them.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »
Are they feeling any better yet? Being off food and not getting up much may be nothing much, eg. coming into season, but may very well indicate disease.
I'd advise getting the vet asap if you can't take their temperatures to get a hint of where to start diagnosing the problem. However, I'd also advise trying to find some way of getting them in a small substantially walled area so the vet can at least examine them and take their temperatures safely as I note you were worried about being bitten.
At this time of year with lots of mild wet weather, erysipelas can be rife, or it may be as simple as needing worming. But without checking them out, you may miss a potentially treatable infection until it is too late.
Worry about breeding them once they are well again as they will most likely not conceive if ill.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:04 am »
As fsnutter says you need to make sure they are fit and healthy first. Any news?

Where do you have to farrow them?

What are you going to do with the litters?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS