Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milk Separators  (Read 4000 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Milk Separators
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:37:38 am »
We have recently started to milk our Red Poll Cow (2 weeks) since she managed to squash her calf at birth and is flatly refusing to accept the foster calf lent to us by a neighbouring farmer. 

There is a lovely layer of cream on the top and so the question of a milk/cream separator came up, OH says we can buy one but I can only find any in Ukraine and Poland  ???  Does anyone know of a british firm that sells small farmhouse size electric ones or do I have to take the plunge and order from the Ukraine, in which case has anyone any experience or recommendations please.

I have managed to make a small amount of butter by just pouring cream carefully off the top  :thumbsup:  but it won't last us long (49g of butter :excited: )

Any advice or suggestions welcome, thanks
So many ideas, not enough hours

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Milk Separators
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:16:30 pm »
These are the people I bought from
http://www.milkycreamseparator.com/cream-separator-machine.html#cream-separator
am afraid you have to import now.....
https://www.amazon.com/Dairy-Cream-Separator-Manual-80L/dp/B00D3R1768
ah ha thought so here is one in the UK
http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/dairy/cream-separators-pasteurisers/
The last link I have the one in the 2nd picture, 2 of them in fact which i use and I highly recommend them!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:57:42 pm »
The one from the Ukraine is brilliant! Works fine, I use it for goatsmilk. And sooooo much cheaper than the UK models. Only drawback is that the metal parts are not stainless steel (hence lower price), but you would only need that if you were to go commercial. For the family - it is fine!

PS.: You will have to get an ice cream maker too....

PPS.: I wouldn't touch Ascott with a bargepole anymore...

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »
The one from the Ukraine is brilliant! Works fine, I use it for goatsmilk. And sooooo much cheaper than the UK models. Only drawback is that the metal parts are not stainless steel (hence lower price), but you would only need that if you were to go commercial. For the family - it is fine!

Why wouldn't you touch Ascott?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:04:39 pm »
Thank you all for your input, we have ordered one from the Ukraine, paid on Paypal so hopefully some come back if anything is wrong with delivery etc.

Thanks especially WBF we will try this cheaper one and if all goes well with milking etc and production increases then we shall upgrade to a dearer milky machine.

:thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:17 pm »
Our milking machine comes from Turkey (with some wonderful translated instructions) but it's well made. I guess these items are more in demand in Turkey / Ukraine than they are here.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 12:36:41 am »
I have one from the Ukraine as well and is fine. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »
I have one from the Ukraine as well and is fine. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Me too.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 12:05:54 pm »

Why wouldn't you touch Ascott?

Undelivered goods but still taking money... gone bankrupt already once just re-invented themselves etc. There are better companies out there, like goatnutrition or homestead.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:09:09 pm »
The current Ascott, based in Wiltshire, was bought as a going concern from the previous owners, who had operated the company many of us had used and loved for many years from Ellesmere Port.  Just to clarify, it's not the original owners who have gone bankcrupt or done any dodgy dealing at all, afaik.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:10:35 pm »
It's arrived - speedy delivery from the Ukraine. We have put it together, read the instructions, eaten lunch and tea around it while it sits proudly on the kitchen table waiting for tomorrow mornings milk to give it a try  :fc:

can't wait to see how it does  :thumbsup:  Thanks for all the help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS