Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers Guardian, vs Farmers Weekly, vs Smallholder mags?  (Read 5174 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Farmers Guardian, vs Farmers Weekly, vs Smallholder mags?
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:52:50 am »
What do you subscribe to, or most often buy?

I spent my early twenties being told that farmers guardian was for proper livestock farmers, and farmers weekly was for posh boys, gentleman farmers, and arable folk.

Having recently picked up the first copy of FG that I've bought in years, and after getting over the new magazine-size shock, I noticed it's very north focused, with a bit of wales.

I'm down in Devon, and I didn't see a single south-west sale listed.

given that we're smallholders not farmer, I'm now wondering whether subject-coverage and geographic-coverage might be better in one of the more modern smallholder mags.

thoughts?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Farmers Guardian, vs Farmers Weekly, vs Smallholder mags?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
Scottish Farmer.

Very occasionally one of the smallholding mags, if there's an interesting or relevant article, but not for local info.

My Dad used to get the Farmers Weekly but we never do, nor do we get the Farmers Guardian.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 02:01:49 pm »
Always farmers guardian, farmers weekly is ok, but I can sell stuff more easily through the FG and there is always a fascinating article for crops or a farmer doing a speciality product.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 03:25:18 pm »
The farmer here gets Scottish Farmer.  When I lived in Devon I used to get Farmers Weekly because FG was so north-oriented.  Now I'm near Carlisle, FG isn't north enough!  Lol

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 03:42:40 pm »
None.  All overpriced.  Sometimes read the headlines on FWI or FGInsight, but  find really that most of the new research and info etc can be found elsewhere for free.

Learnt more from this and the farming forum, plus HCCMPW, SAC, SCOPS, Nadis, Eblex websites etc all for free.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 04:19:46 pm »
I subscribe to Farmers Guardian.  It used to only cover the Northwest but now covers a greater area.  Farmers Weekly got really boring so I stopped reading it many years ago.  I pick up the freebies at the mart.  When we were milking cows I got the Dairy Farmer but once out of milk it was not really of use to us.  Once many, many moons ago I got the Smallholder magazine but we were too big an enterprise to get much out of it.

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »
I've subscribed to Country Smallholding and Practical Poultry. Both are very good and informative.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:12:20 pm »
My dad used to have Farmer and Stockbreeder, who is old enough to remember that!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 07:04:05 pm »
Loved the Farmer and Stockbreeder a  real magazine  , obviously the Scottish Farmer for me but I buy the FG occasionally for the excellent articles .

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:34 pm »
I've subscribed to Country Smallholding and Practical Poultry. Both are very good and informative.

Same :) Picked up another one recently (Smalholder Weekly maybe) and it wasn't nearly as good

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 09:59:22 pm »
I get the online versions of FW and the SF (both actually through my work) but I prefer the SF out of the two publications.
I buy a FG perhaps a handful of times in the year.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:46 pm »
I do like the mags ,so I have the digital versions about 6 or 7 and also farmers lamp and some others I help with etc .I also think that this is very good for projects meat and eggs etc . Its a pitey that some forums carnt be kept in like acrabat reader when problems acoure.

Kimkimmy

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 02:43:59 pm »
I subscribe to country small holder but thinking of cancelling as many o f the articles are more about lifestyle rather than informative.   :)
You either get it right or you learn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS