Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goats weight  (Read 6524 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
goats weight
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:18 pm »
how can i best tell the weight of my two girls milly and molly.
what weight target should i be getting milly and molly before seeing a billy.
its hay hay all the way now with a little bit of concentrates (less than a handfull)
mixed with kwickbeet morning and afternoon.
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: goats weight
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:33 am »
I don't know about weight but am interested in kwikbeet Langdon - like you I am an overfeeder  :-[  perhaps that was why we lost Ronnie. so am trying to get a better balance now.
how much kwikbeet can you give them?
am desperately trying to find a hay selling farmer as if I keep paying petshop and countrywide prices for hay we will need to remortgage!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
i give the girls less than a handfull of concentrates mixed with a cup full of kwikbeet soaked in a bucket with half a litre
of water for 10min.
have the two seprate till the kwikbeet has soaked then mix together in their feeding bucket.
the kwikbeet has 16% fibre which i understand is great.
hope this helps :wave:
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »
Langdon, get some normal scales, stand on them, see what weight you are, then pick Molly up and stand on the scales again :D  There is a way, involving a tape measure and measuring the girth just behind the front legs, but I have fogotten the conversions for that.

I will not be picking Paddy up and holding him on the scales though.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:38:26 pm »
Hi Langdon - I have the tape measure conversion chart. It's an excel file if you would like it I could email you it - let me know.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »
thanks langdon - how many times a day do you feed yours? I have been told by the vet to seperate feeds into 3 or 4 times a day at the moment
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »
i feed mine twice morning and afternoon.
i dont how i could work out the amount altogether 3-4 times a day.
the amount that is in the feeding bucket is small, blimey if i had to reduce that to 3-4 times a day you woudnt
be able to see it!
for what reasons did the vet say 3-4 times a day?
im not saying he is wrong im just curious.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »
he just said that they cannot cope with large meals (concentrates) so to split it to 3 or 4 meals which to me seems hard too.
I give mine brekkie (while I milk the nanny all 3 have some) then at afternoon tea they all have some (usually with veg peelings etc mixed in) and then bedtime/milking pm. I'm sure I'm still giving them too much. they have lots of browsings (trees, mainly apple! and blackberry bushes etc and they mow the grass a bit)
I will get some beet too and still hope I can find a hay seller cheaper than the petshop!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:46 pm »
have you read brucklay replys to this topic?
he has a weight chart conversion which i think is worked out by measuring their girth and using the chart.
i havent yet seen it myself but am going to get him to email it to me.
dont know if it will be precise but interesting to look at.
i just hope the girls will be in perfect condition for billy when autumn comes,
hope all goes with you and  :goat:(s)
langdon ;)
Langdon ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
Oh I am sooo glad its not just us (well me) who stands on the bathroom scales (in the field though!) and checks her weight + lambs! It feels quite silly, but we can't really afford proper sheep scales... Just bought a 25kg hanging scales (digital) for milk recording (next year properly, this year just for us), and use it for the lambs and kids in a big bag....

I don't weigh my goats, just feel their backbone for fat. Seems to work.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »
that would be brill
its bethlynam@hotmail.com
how acurate is it cos i have seemed to overfed my girls,
i aiming to get them into perfect condition for the billy in the autumn.
thanks langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:42 pm »
I have a wee bit of excessive info in the chart - will delete what you don't need ie my goats weights etc and send in the morning - computer tired now. Clare (Brucklay)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »
Langdon, its not right to have an overweight goat at any time, and I can see you are concerned about your goats being overweight before going to the billy.  But, over the years, I have had goats of all shapes and sizes ....never weighed any of them before going to the billy, and they all got in kid whatever their size.  So, do not worry too much.  Now they are on a diet, they will be the right size by Autumn - honestly!!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »
roxy you seem to have that calming effect everytime!!!!
by the way me and beth have looked at molly on seprate times to see how her udder is doing and both of us thinks
the size is going down bit by bit.
thanks for all your help, even when i was been stroppy!!
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 05:14:32 pm »
Good that Mollys udder is decreasing - I do think it was the amount of goat mix she was having, causing it. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS