Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallow & bat friendly doors  (Read 3189 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Swallow & bat friendly doors
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:56 am »
I need to put new doors on my hay lofts - one currently has no door and the other has a very old door that's half hanging off its hinges.  I have active swallows nests in one loft and historic nest in the other, and we have bats around the place.  I must put the doors on in order to keep the weather (and unwanted humans) out, but I don't want to stop the birds accessing the nests (I tarp over all my hay anyway so I don't mind clearing up their poo).

Has anyone had this problem and come up with a nifty solution?

There is no way of putting in another opening which would allow access as the walls are stone 60cm thick.  From what I've read swallows need the hole to be the size of a house brick, so I was thinking could we make the door with a little flap that would fold down (inside), and we could keep that open from April to Oct, then shut it up over winter.  The flap could be vented with holes too in case we get bats in during the winter.  These doors are sheltered so don't get the rain direct into them (very often).  Thoughts anyone?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:25:57 am by Foobar »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Swallow & bat friendly doors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:54:30 am »
We have a stable door with a hand aperture so you can slide the inside bolt from outside.  The swallows fly straight out through that, without slowing down.  If you're really lucky you get a face full of swallow.  The other stable door at the other end stays open throughout the swallow season.
Our hen houses (converted garden sheds), where we have had swallows nesting ever since we first put them up, have an extended ventilation hole above the door - about 6" wide by about 3 - 4" tall.  That's high enough for the swallows to fly straight in, or to sit in and contemplate the world.  Originally we intended to make a flap as you describe but we never have as the hens need the air.  However, if it wasn't for the swallows we would cover the hole with small mesh to make sure the stoats don't get in - they haven't climbed that high yet.

We have bats flying at night, but they don't roost here.  If they did there would be no problem with access to any of our sheds or the barn, as none of the doors fit so tightly that a bat couldn't shuffle through.

What you describe sounds perfect.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:02:37 pm »
Batwing doors  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:20:03 pm »
Sounds like you have a plan, but I recently became aware of purpose-made 'bat roof tiles'. linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 05:26:50 pm »
Yeah and you can get bat bricks too! :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »
Yeah and you can get bat bricks too! :)
Now all you need is batman to deliver them  :roflanim: Sorry couldn't resist
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS