Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep to shoulder  (Read 5528 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep to shoulder
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 09:53:27 am »
Can't you wash (and blow dry) the sheep before shearing? I know that legally it would still be classed as raw fleece, but it might help with some of the gunk... (I have a photo somewhere where my friend is shampooing a lamb in the sink for a photo shoot!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:12 am »
Can't you wash (and blow dry) the sheep before shearing? I know that legally it would still be classed as raw fleece, but it might help with some of the gunk... (I have a photo somewhere where my friend is shampooing a lamb in the sink for a photo shoot!)

Sounds ridiculous, but in fact it's what they used to do!  We have a 'sheepwash' just below our farm entrance - the sheep would be sent across the 'wash' (pool in fast-flowing water, just deep enough to submerge a sheep) on a dry, blowy day, and sent out into the big meadow to be wind-dried.  Then clipped the next day or so.

It won't remove the grease, though, and, much more relevantly, it won't remove any orf or other nasties either.  You would have to get some detergent into the fleece for that. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »
I think the 'back to back' challenge was on  tv  a couple of years ago, in Norway maybe.

here you go , found the bookmarked link

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/national-knitting-eve/dvnr30004613/01-11-2013

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 12:11:16 am »
I've started to watch is and it's very interesting. Two hours long though so I will watch it in  parts.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 10:22:34 am »
You would have to get some detergent into the fleece for that.

That's what I meant - use shampoo. Should be gentle enough for the sheep. Would have to be a rather placid animal, though!  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
Just spoken to the people organising this and raised the issue of the raw fleece. Apparently another group has flagged up the same problem.
Anyway, they are happy for us to wash a fleece beforehand. On the day, once the sheep has been shorn, we will then start preparing the washed fleece.
We are going to have a notice up explaining about the health and safety issue so that visitors understand.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS