Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep to shoulder  (Read 5511 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Sheep to shoulder
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:46:23 am »
My spinning group always attend the Llandovery sheep festival giving demo's.

I took a phone call yesterday asking if we would take part in a sheep to shoulder event where people see the sheep being shorn in the morning and then over 2 days we card, spin and make something to wear.

I said we would give them an answer on whether we would take part in the next couple of days but before then I would like to know how many people would it take and how realistic is it to produce something?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Sheep to shoulder
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:51:02 am »
I expect you will get some more detailed responses from people who have done this, but at Fibre East they had about 5 spinners producing to feed one weaver.  She was making a shawl I think.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:40:04 am »
I expect you will get some more detailed responses from people who have done this, but at Fibre East they had about 5 spinners producing to feed one weaver.  She was making a shawl I think.

So its going to take quite a few people. Not sure if I can enlist that many.

I know SITN has done something similar so hopefully she can add some more info later.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »
We went for maximum participation, and we knitted ours.  We sheared the sheep at 10am, carded, spun, knitted squares (using singles on big pins) and stitched them together, and by 4pm we had our shawl.   Approx 45 people were involved, we think about 150-ish person hours in all.

It would be much quicker weaving, I think - but do a trial/ sample, because you'll use more yarn for woven, I suspect.  You could weave a Lacey pattern, I s'pose... 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »
Its a great idea Sally .... and festival could do with something different going on which is fleece focussed .   Could you contact other spinning groups to join in? (Carmarthen?)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:37:01 pm »
Teams that do this competitively have 5 or 6 people, start with everyone spinning, then as soon as there are two half-bobbins, one starts plying.  They can make a waistcoat in 5 or 6 hours :o

When doing a woven garment, I'm not sure if anyone warps as part of the exercise, or whether they'd start with the loom already dressed.  For a demo event, I'd think you could get away with having the loom warped up, ready.

Of course, 'something to wear' could be wrist warmers or a cowl, doesn't have to be a shawl.  We couldn't resist 'Sheep to Shawl on the Wall'; it'd have been easier if our event had been at Windy Gowl or Fisherman's Cove... ;p
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:41:03 pm »
Its a great idea Sally .... and festival could do with something different going on which is fleece focussed .   Could you contact other spinning groups to join in? (Carmarthen?)

We had people coming from all our surrounding Guilds and groups, and a few further out too.  I think we said 6 Guilds were represented, including Edinburgh and Walsall!  If you can make it participative, people will travel to take part - ours was a day all of us will remember for the rest of our lives. 

You can read the story of how we went about it on Wovember linky
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:44:38 pm by SallyintNorth »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 04:44:54 pm »
Fabulous link Sally. I will send it to the rest of the spinners to give them some food for thought.

Linda, I believe that other groups of spinners are going to be contacted because they wanted to make it a competition i.e. one group against another but even if they don't/can't do that it would still be interesting for our group to do it anyway.

Spoken to the rest of the spinners this afternoon and most of them are up for it although there are some that are worried about it being unwashed fleece. Ah well, you have to die of something.....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:04:28 pm »
You may find it's less the health risks of unwashed fleece and more the gunk on their wheels. 

Because of ours being a mass participation event, we reluctantly decided to use washed fleece.  So although we waited for the sheep to be hand clipped, in fact we used a similar fleece that had already been clipped, washed and dried.  Personally I'd rather use it straight from the sheep.

You might be able to arrange to use only drum carders that are used for greasy fleece, and similarly hand carders.  Otherwise, here's how to clean up the drum and hand carders afterwards.  You'll need some washed, spare fleece.  Wet some with meths and card it until the tines are all sparkly clean.  Then card some more of the washed fleece, without any meths, to clean off the meths!

Meths will likewise clean any grease off wheels afterwards.  And again, finish with a clean dry cloth to remove any remaining meths.

Places on wheels to specifically clean are of course the path the yarn takes, so orifice and hooks, but also the flyer shaft and bearings.  And for the pernickety who don't usually spin in the grease, also the drive wheel bearings.

I find a bit of grease in the fleece helps to keep the wood fed, so I guess that means that there may be grease will want wiping off (using meths) of any lacquered surfaces.

Do let us know how you get on, Sally!  After our escapade, a competitive one has kind of got to be our next challenge...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:06:35 pm by SallyintNorth »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:34:08 pm »
Another thing would be to place a big pack of baby wipes next to each crafter so they could be as pernickety as they like and keep their hands immaculate.  Also for members of the public who want to feel the fleece.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:40:37 pm »
Sally, thankyou for the tips on cleaning the drum carder. I had ruled out a drum carder because I thought I wouldn't be able to clean it afterwards.

fleecewife, the baby wipes tip is a good one also.

The event isn't until the end of Sept so we have some time to plan

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 12:15:52 am »
If you were going to weave something, you would either need the loom warped up first or used plied for the warp which would obviously take a bit longer. What about crochet for speed?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:52:53 am »
Another thing would be to place a big pack of baby wipes next to each crafter so they could be as pernickety as they like and keep their hands immaculate.  Also for members of the public who want to feel the fleece.

Check your insurance, but we've been told that we must have water, actual soap and hand towels wherever members of the public would be handling raw fleece.  ::)  I have a squirty antibacterial handcleaning spray too, then they can choose which they want to use.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 06:20:49 am »
A problem for other groups joining in might be if it's over two days.

I know I'd travel for one long day out but two is difficult,  Not impossible but exhausting.  Still have to do the rest of the work at each end of the days.
Would be fun though. :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 08:48:49 am »

Check your insurance, but we've been told that we must have water, actual soap and hand towels wherever members of the public would be handling raw fleece.  ::)  I have a squirty antibacterial handcleaning spray too, then they can choose which they want to use.

I think we have already decided that members of the public won't touch the raw fleece but that we will have some washed fleece available separately if they want to have a go. Can't be too careful with things like that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS