Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilt too old for first litter??  (Read 2251 times)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
Gilt too old for first litter??
« on: August 07, 2016, 09:00:17 am »
Good morning!
I have a mate with two Tamworth gilts. They are between 18-24 months and he is yet to put them in-pig.
We were hoping to run one of my Iron Age boars with them in a few months when they reach maturity.
I know it's best to keep sows in-pig but wondered if a gilt can be too old to be put in pig and if so how old?
Thanks?

GB

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Gilt too old for first litter??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:07 am »
Gilts can get too old to be put in pig, it depends how old they are though. The older a pig gets without being put in pig the harder it becomes to put them in pig as the fat builds up around the ovaries. I would say go for it and see what happens. This is just my opinion though ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:50:09 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:37:59 am »
The general rule of thumb is to farrow a gilt between 12 and 14 months of age. The chances after that reduce as WBF has said because of fat being laid down around the ovaries. How long have you been running the boar with them?

Traditional breeds are likely to lay down more fat from an early age and Tamworths can be deceptive as they may look quite lean but have a lot of internal fat.

Without an another boar to put them to your difficulty is deciding whether it is him or them. I would get them to another boar asap if you can.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:48:16 am »
Thanks for the advice both.
My boars are only 5 months so need to wait at least another two/three before they are ready.
That's what I was wondering- if a gilt can go infertile if they wait too long as they are getting on a bit now

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:54:18 pm »
I would get them covered asap by another boar and use yours next time. I'd run them for two cycles if you can just to be sure....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:10 am »
I agree with roddycm.  Our new young boar turned out to be infertile and I ended up taking a 15-month old gilt to a hire boar as the replacement boar was a bit too young to work.  She was covered about 20 seconds after unloading and had a litter of 9 excellent piglets. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS