Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agricultural land - What can be planted?  (Read 21056 times)

ChickenLover

• Joined Aug 2016
Agricultural land - What can be planted?
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »
I want to buy a house in buckhamshire with 3 acres of agricultural land at the rear of the garden.

If my have done some research, and believe you can plant trees on agricultural land? I will plant a variety of native, fruit, and nut trees. If I am correct is this permitted?

Can I plant hedges shrubs, and flowers as well or will this be considered a garden?

I will also have chickens to.

I will likely sell some of the eggs, fruit, and nuts.

How do the authorities distinguish between agricultural land use, and a garden?

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Agricultural land - What can be planted?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »
I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'd be interested to know this as well.

As far as my research on this matter goes so far, you cannot create a 'garden' on agricultural land. However, DEFRA's guide to planning included the terms 'nursery' and 'horticulture' in their definition of agriculture. That plan was scrapped in 2014 and replaced with the current framework, but it certainly introduces a grey area because was else is horticulture other than growing plants?

There's also a case for growing flowers and selling a few plants/cut blooms - surely then you're also cultivating the land rather than simply creating a garden. I'm still researching heavily as I've got some agri land too which has NEVER been used and is not suitable for actually growing traditional crops so I'm hoping I can also create a garden in those areas; perhaps remaining within the law by selling some of those plants too.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 10:17:38 pm »
I can't see that putting in a hedge is a problem if the hedge is for agricultural purposes ie a boundary or wind break. Growing something for you to eat surely must be ok too. And I don't think planting a few trees would be frowned on. 

However, if what you have in mind is a three acre extension to your garden with manicured lawns, flower beds and patio tables then it is going to look like exactly that.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »
I agree, creating a garden with lawn, flowerbeds etc might be pushing your luck, but I think growing a few plants would be okay. Planting trees is definitely okay on agricultural land, as is creating a meadow like a wildflower meadow, for example. It's seen as boosting biodiversity.

It really comes down to individual local authorities and how nit-picky they are, and nosy neighbours. After all, if no one puts in a complaint, I doubt the LA will look into it.

thescot82

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 09:11:52 am »
I want to buy a house in buckhamshire with 3 acres of agricultural land at the rear of the garden.

If my have done some research, and believe you can plant trees on agricultural land? I will plant a variety of native, fruit, and nut trees. If I am correct is this permitted?

Can I plant hedges shrubs, and flowers as well or will this be considered a garden?

I will also have chickens to.

I will likely sell some of the eggs, fruit, and nuts.

How do the authorities distinguish between agricultural land use, and a garden?

I know this is an old post, but I'm keen to follow as I'm in the process of buying a house in Buckinghamshire also with adjoining agricultural land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS