Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning query!  (Read 3551 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Planning query!
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:45 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the planning rules are if I were to erect a barn on agricultural land for my sheep? Does planning automatically get approved or is it the same procedure as applying for a property? thanks

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Planning query!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:33:19 pm »
We have been looking into this for a barn and have been told that if you have over 12.5 acres its much easier as there are some permitted agricultural development rights. You still have to apply for planning (but the fees are a lot lower than if you were trying to build a house) and it should only take one month before getting a decision. At least that's the case for us in Powys as far as we understand it - not at the stage where we need to apply yet though - still saving up!  :) We phoned the local planning people to ask a ton of questions before buying the land and they were very helpful, they can even do a site visit to advise, so that when you do put the forms in they are more likely to go through without a hitch. That's the idea anyway, not sure how easy it is in practice!  ;D

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »
This is not an answer butI am interested in this too; but not yet at the stage to do anything about it either. There may be a difference between Scotland and England; we are in Scotland - not sure where you are.
Simon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
The best plan is usually to consult the planners with your ideas and they will advise you - better to keep on their good side than be refused consent or be told to take something down.  They are usually able to have an informal meeting with you.  Having said that, I did all that, got the verbal Ok, delayed for a bit, then the planning officer for my area changed and the next one didn't agree.  So don't delay once you have spoken to them and got a verbal yes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »
Hmm yes it would be easy to just chat to the planning officer but I was hoping to be a bit clued up first, before I announce any ideas I may have! theres a reason you see!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »
I think it depends where abouts you are, and what your council is like regarding developments for agriculture.  Its virtually impossible to get ANYTHING where we are, unless you have hundreds of acres, when it seems ok to put up countless barns for animals and feed storage.  We have two farms adjoining each other, one 8 acres, the other 14. Even a mobile field shelter seems to be frowned upon, and it has to be sited well back from a road, away from neighbours, you have to put on the plans how you intend getting rid of foul water/slurry.  Like I say, it may be ok where you are.  But from past experience, its better to ask, and work with the planning.  If you go ahead, and then have to get retrospective planning to keep the building, they can refuse it, and make you take it down.

Nearby residents, and also the highways department can comment - if it affects traffic in any way, or is over developed for the area etc.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
If you have a look at the planning laws for putting up agri buildings you can possibly find a specific forum where you can ask questions.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »
Hi i will ask the my mate who is doing the pigs with me as he has just put up a large barn. i assume you will need planning as it is a permanent structure, however calling the planners anonymously and just asking some generic questions as someone inexperienced and you may find that they will actually help.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:23:33 pm »
Hi Dixie, It is always best to get planning no matter where you are, we asked our council if we needed planning for our barn.  The planning people said we didn't need planning as we had 44 acres we are allowed 100sqm of shedding Barn included.  Anyway we asked the people we were giving temporary free agistment to leave (nicely BTW).   They got nasty we called police, next couple of days we had the council around saying we may have to take the barn down as it was illegal.  Hubby explained what had happened, he also explained he had rung the planners and what they said.  It turned out Hubby was right but we had nearly a month of worry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS