Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I train Olly the starling?  (Read 6455 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Can I train Olly the starling?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 12:50:42 am »
What a lovely story Eeyore.  My Ollie eventually flew off - we'll see if he comes back in the spring. Looking forward to the pics.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:07:41 am »
What a lovely story, Eeyore. I will share with my daughter when she gets home from school. She loves birds and that will bring a smile to her face.  ;D

Hope that you can find the photos. :fc:

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 06:40:44 pm »
I hope these pictures work.....

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 06:42:17 pm »
This one is a week or so later.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 06:43:03 pm »
This one when they were learning to fly.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:22 pm »
This one is when Bubbles returned the following year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 12:55:44 am »
Most babies are so cute, but that first shot is just such an ugly duckling  :roflanim:  Poor mum, imagine having a whole nestful of those squabbling to be fed  :o .  But then isn't Bubbles so beautiful when he comes back.  I love the colours of adult starlings.  Well done you for raising them to adulthood Eeyore  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:53:56 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 01:34:25 pm »
Awwww, brilliant! Well done you.

We've loved looking at your photos. My daughter thought that it was such a happy story.

What did you feed them on? Did they have heat?

I'd have thought that the success rate with very young birds was reasonably low.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 09:53:26 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife & in the hills.

I found one baby once that had fallen quite a height out of the nest.  It was completely bald - and it's eyes weren't open, so probably only a couple of days old.  When I picked it up it was soo cold and no movement, I thought it was gone but something told me it was alive.  I took it in, put it in a little cardboard box.  I have a round heat pad that you put in the microwave for around 5 minutes and it keeps warm for about 6 hours.  So I put the little bird on this and snuggled it in fleece to get it warm.  After around 2 hours in this it showed better signs of life.  You should never syringe water into their mouths, but from experience I knew this little soul needed hydrating, so I got a little paint brush with a drip of water on and I sat the drip along the outside of it's gape.  After doing this I asked it to open it's beak and it did and when it did the little drip of water went into it's mouth and it naturally swallowed it. 

After this I'd chop some dried meal worms and soak them in warm water  I'd use a long pair of tweezers to feed the little baby (I always make sure to dab away any excess water before giving to the baby).  At first it was a struggle to get it to take them but eventually he got the idea - it sometimes takes alot of patience.  I was determined not to let it die.  In the first week I fed every hour - night time too.  :P Then every 2-3 hours the older he got.  And once he started to feed for himself I didn't feed at night as they are strong enough.  I also fed scrambled egg (obviously only egg, nothing added).  I'd chop it into little pieces to feed him.

I taught myself to do this as I love animals soo much.  The internet helps alot too.  Where I live now, it's frogs and toads I seem to be rescuing and learning about. :D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »
Just loved reading your rescue stories, Eeyore.

Keep up the good work. Such dedication to the little souls.

Thank you for the photos. My daughter loved them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS