Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy ewe  (Read 7671 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Re: Itchy ewe
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 05:18:38 pm »
Thanks Foobar. If you get time to put some of your photos on here just so I can see if it looks the same, that would be helpful too.
If I have any luck with a spot on kind of thing that I may be able to use each year as a prevention/reduction of the problem for her, that would be great.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »
Yup, will do.  Incidentally there was a post on the farming forum on the same subject v recently:
https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/scabby-sheep.131144/  with some photos (not ears, but eyes and legs)

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:44 pm »
Wow
Yep, the scabby sheep thread was me, and she sounds just like your ewe.
I got the vet who suspected mites. He took skin scrapings but found nothing.
Her black, dry, crusty scabs were around her eyes and inner edge of ear, on her udder and under her belly. Basically they were everywhere where there was no hair cover.
She too was really itchy and miserable.
I found she was worse when I brought her closer to home where there was more midges.
Vet gave her a steroid jab and long acting antibiotics, then I put her back over on the windy, exposed hill. She seems a lot better over there.
I'm going to give her another year to see how she goes now I'm aware of it. I will try and keep her up on the hill whenever possible.
If she doesn't do significantly better next year then she'll have a one way ticket I'm afraid. I'm not prepared to allow her to suffer every year, it's not fair on her.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »
I just thought I would report back on my itchy ewe.
I have been putting sudocreme on her ears and belly for the past couple of weeks, followed by a liberal spray of Avon midge repellent! I found out that the Royal Marines use it, so thought if it's good enough for them, then perhaps good enough for my sheep!  It cost me £11 for a 5 bottles pack and I am still using the first bottle despite spraying her liberally with it. I felt I had nothing to lose and it has been brilliant? The affected areas have been much improved by the cream (now completely healed) and keeping the midges away with the spray has stopped her being so aggravated by them. It took her a while to be confident enough to come out of her shelter during daylight hours for fear af being attacked by them but she is now taking herself outside almost all day. She has been so good to get into the pen (1/2 a digestive biscuit works a treat) and now comes running in to let me cream and spray her very easily. I am now just applying cream once a week to keep areas soft and supple and spraying her with the Avon spray every other day.
I realise this isn't feasible sheep care for the more professional sheep keepers on the forum but for those with pet sheep or a particular favourite that they don't want to cull, this info might be helpful. Next year, I will start this regime early in the summer season to see if I can prevent the situation happening to her rather than treat it once it has started. It's so lovely to see her back to her happy self.
Thankyou again to all who posted helpful advice and support.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/avon-s-spray-finds-calling-as-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 10:07:05 pm »
It's good to hear you can still get it.  We were told it wasn't made any more.  They used to stock it in the agri merchants around here; all the farmers know it's the best thing to keep the midges off.  It's essential kit for sheep shearers!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 06:24:44 am »
There was such an outcry when they changed the formula that they went and brought out the original again.  I think they had more sales from people using it as a bug repellant than those who use it for its intended purpose.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 10:56:09 am »
What about serious deficiencies?  I would of thought a blood test may show any - someone could confirm this. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS