Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: KC to update GSD breed standard  (Read 3332 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
KC to update GSD breed standard
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:35:30 pm »
To state explicitly that dogs should be capable of standing comfortably, unaided, on their own four feet.  linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: KC to update GSD breed standard
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:56:07 pm »
I don't know what they mean by double handling but I suppose that's what you are referring to when you have said they should be capable of standing comfortably and unaided.

I thought both dogs in the clip in your link looked awful. More like hyenas who slink along rather than, what I think of, as a GSD.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »
Double handling is where one handler is in the ring with the dog and another is outside the ring attracting it's attention to make it look more alert.  Clapping hands, chirping, whistling throwing a ball up in teh air.  It's against KC rules in the UK, but still done, albeit surreptitiously!

In the case of Brittanys however, it would add to their already over alertness to the extent of making them almost impossible to handle in the ring  :roflanim:

I much prefer dogs to be 'free' stood anyway.  'Topping and Tailing' is so artificial.
First photo is me and Allez - totally free standing - ther is actually nothing in my hand although he thinks there might be

Second photo is a retriever 'set up' - top and tail - one hand at the muzzle,  the  other holding the tail out.  There are varying degrees and methods of this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:14:21 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:43:03 pm »
I don't know what they mean by double handling but I suppose that's what you are referring to when you have said they should be capable of standing comfortably and unaided.

I thought both dogs in the clip in your link looked awful. More like hyenas who slink along rather than, what I think of, as a GSD.

There are two issues, I think. Quite distinct.  The conformation of GSDs with the exaggerated sloping hips, which in the extreme results in dogs that can't stand straight, can't walk without wobbling - and which probably genetically have poor hips, resulting in a higher incidence of displasia in their offspring.  This has been an ongoing welfare issue since the 70s, and the continued failure to address it effectively is one of the reasons a lot of people still give the British Kennel Club a bad press.

So, ludicrous though it would seem that being able to stand unaided needs to be specified in a breed standard, it's good to see the KC taking this step, since it seems that the breed folks are unwilling and/or unable to sort out the issue themselves.

The double handling, as Annie says, is there being some one outside the ring attracting the dog's attention.  It seems there is also a thing about running the dogs two at a time, and fast - the implication being, to me, that all techniques possible are used to encourage the dogs to move, and to look as though they are comfortable and able to move. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »
The fact that the forces will not entertain using GSD's with the conformation of show dogs means that the show dogs are not fit for purpose.  The way the breed aficionados refuse to improve this is very disappointing.  Well done KC for standing up to it (albeit after public outrage!)

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:20 am »
The fact that the forces will not entertain using GSD's with the conformation of show dogs means that the show dogs are not fit for purpose.  The way the breed aficionados refuse to improve this is very disappointing.  Well done KC for standing up to it (albeit after public outrage!)
Actually, I had a notification from the KC before I saw it on TV.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
Actually, I had a notification from the KC before I saw it on TV.

?

The latest round of outrage began after Crufts 2016; as far as I know, these changes have only just been announced?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:06 am »
After Crufts 2016 KC said would review the GSD again - these changes announced this week as far as I know - Dog World etc

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:16 am »
I had an email after Crufts saying that the KC were looking into the GSD breed standard.  I'm on their Secretary and judges lists

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:19 am »
I had an email after Crufts saying that the KC were looking into the GSD breed standard.  I'm on their Secretary and judges lists

Oh, that's good to know.  Thanks.

Moobli

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »
As a lover of the working line GSDs, I can only say this is a good thing and a small step in the right direction.  However, I think it is probably optimistic to think the shape of the current West German show line shepherd will change drastically in a short space of time. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
I'd love to hear more of your thoughts, [member=4610]Shepherddog[/member]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS