Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Outdoor creep area  (Read 2997 times)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Outdoor creep area
« on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:36 pm »
I'm looking to refine our system a little.
We rear all outdoor.
Looking at good solutions for creep feeding and watering piglets.

Have used cube drinkers, not ruling them out but they do get used by and turned over by sows.
Feeding, would like to keep the sows away from the grower food.
Am wondering about an area just away from the ark that is protected from the sow. Just now thinking an overturned and pegged down IBC cage might work

Any thoughts?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Outdoor creep area
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:42:25 pm »
We creep fed briefly during the foot & mouth outbreak in 2000.  Very quickly we ended up feeding most of the neighbourhood's rooks, crows, jackdaws, pigeons, squirrels and anything else that could get in !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »
ah yes, we already have that problem with out chicken and waterfowl food.
good point.

although i could just put in enough for them to eat like i would for the mums and use the area to provide water to them that isn't drunk and/or destroyed by the sows.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:49:15 am »
If you can get a water pipe to them I recommend Suevia drinkers, distributed in the UK by Hanco.   The ones on our farm have survived 35 years of pigs.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »
I had the opposite problem with my last lot, keeping them out of mum's dinner once they'd scoffed down theirs as she was such a softy with them! Much easier to manage though, I just weaned them a week earlier than I was intending.

I looked into getting an IBC cage too and it seems a lot of people do use them, so that could be a good bet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 01:42:24 pm »
Not sure about the concept of "pegging down" an IBC crate, though.  Pigs love to root things up.  Bolting it to a couple of fenceposts inside the cage might work.  It would get very muddy in Winter, though.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
My friend uses a lamb creep feeder. It has an overhang at the front. You would need to put it in fenced area where only the piglets have access to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS