Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ride on mower vs compact tractor?  (Read 7546 times)

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Ride on mower vs compact tractor?
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:52:20 am »
Hi all

Just wondering if it's possible to get a ride on mower with PTO and a decent towing capacity?

I'm tempted to get a compact tractor, but will only have an acre or so of grass (partly neat, partly rough paddock) to cut. So I was wondering if a (cheaper but less versatile) ride on mower would do? As well as grass cutting, I'd like to be able to pull a trailer, maybe run a log splitter... I suppose a loader might be useful on occasion but not often.

Hmm, reading what I've put, I think the compact tractor probably would be the way to go! Would towing with a ride on mower kill the clutch / drive?

Budget - not much! £2,000 maybe? Looking second hand, but wouldn't need to get log splitter immediately, if at all. (I actually split pretty well with a Fiskars, just thinking for the future - personal use only).
The ability to pick up grass would be useful sometimes, but not all the time. The plan is for a patch of neat lawn (though that could possibly be cut and picked up by a normal walk-behind mower). Some of it will be kept as rough ish (sloping) paddock, possibly with orchard trees. Paddock is currently pretty rough, too much for a ride on mower I think. I also want to extend a copse or two into the paddock area by planting trees, and I think a compact tractor could be useful for that, though probably not manoeuvrable enough to mow between orchard trees / new woodland. I'd prefer a pull-behind mower rather than belly mounted, as there's a bit of a rough ride to get to the paddock.
Rotovation would be useful from time to time (veg patch etc.) but probably not often enough to need to buy a rotavator. Could hire one on occasion if I had a tractor. If I had a tractor there's probably be other things I could use it for!
I suppose realistically I could manage with a ride on mower once initial rough cutting of the paddock is done. But I would prefer a diesel tractor! (More versatile, better engineered, longer lasting...) There is a fair bit of wood about locally that I'd like to be able to drag home (with permission, of course) - and I think doing this on a regular basis would not be good for a ride on mower?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Ride on mower vs compact tractor?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
Just my opinion but a ride on mower will not really be up to the task and will be knackered after a year or two.

If it were me I'd see if I could stretch to a sound classic like a Fergie TE20  for around £2K pulling an old topper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massey-ferguson-te20-/272310605201

If kept dry and cared for it would always hold it's value.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »
Thanks.

I did consider a bigger tractor (better value), but a big tractor is really overkill for my small patch. (A compact tractor might be too much if I'm honest!) Also, big tractors are thirstier so I think I'll have to go for a compact... (Or try and get more land!)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:45:57 pm »
In which case maybe see if you can find a second hand Kubota Comapact tractor that has been well looked after? Not sure that you'll find one in your price range.

I'd keep away from the Chinese built compact tractors they are in general not that well made.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:09:35 pm »
Can't remember what make it was but we bought a combi machine when we bought our wee mini farm in 1994. We had almost an acre of grass in front of the house to mow, it had a few attachments - a roller that you filled with water, a triple-ganger mower/harrower, and a wee cart.  All of which we used regularly - it was a tough little thing.  Got it from Inverurie Garden Machinery. It had a  Briggs & Stratton engine. Think it was maybe a Lawnflite
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 09:45:01 am »
If it's any help I had exactly the same problem when we bought our holding, similar sized to yours, and with an overgrown paddock plus small orchard.

At the time, I looked at ride on mowers (John Deere initially) but found:
a) they're costly to buy, and secondhand ones aren't particularly cheap either if you want a good one;
b) our local dealer doubted they would be man enough to deal with our rough ground;
c) dealer recommended that that the mower deck should be removed each time we needed to tow a small trailer etc and then refitted when we wanted to mow again - not a quick procedure;
d) some of the servicing i.e. the hydraulic drive, meant sending it back to the dealer - rather than a diy job.

I looked at small tractors and ended up buying a Fergie TE20 which had a lot of advantages as far as I was concerned:

1) more than enough power to deal with the rough ground;
2) much more versatile than the ride on mower and able to handle a wider range of equipment plus being able to use the hydraulics for jobs like removing old gate posts;
3) keeps it's value - still a good resale price  for classic tractors (ride on's don't hold their value long term)
4) cheap to insure (just over a £1/week  fully comp)
5) easy to diy service and repair.
6) if needs be I can use it on the road; road tax =£0.

I've had it for two years now and it's proved to be the right decision. Total cost of tractor + a new 4 ft topper was well under £2k. A ride on will take less storage space, but that said the Fergie is only the size of a small car and will fit in a small shed.

There's a lot of good advice on websites on these tractors, if you decided to explore further.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:52 am »
alternatively you could go for the natural alternative, sheep?  :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 10:53:46 am »
We never had any of the problems UPoneacre mentions, maybe we were lucky.  The triple ganger was capable of topping our closest field without having to remove any part of the main machine itself; we didn't bother with the others as we had sheep in them, but we liked strolling through that one with the dogs.  Just had a look at Lawnflites website - looks like they don't do them any more.  It was still going strong last I hear - 20 years later
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:28 pm »
alternatively you could go for the natural alternative, sheep?  :innocent:

Don't think I'm capable of looking after sheep, apart from with mint sauce!

If it's any help I had exactly the same problem when we bought our holding, similar sized to yours, and with an overgrown paddock plus small orchard.

At the time, I looked at ride on mowers (John Deere initially) but found:
a) they're costly to buy, and secondhand ones aren't particularly cheap either if you want a good one;
b) our local dealer doubted they would be man enough to deal with our rough ground;
c) dealer recommended that that the mower deck should be removed each time we needed to tow a small trailer etc and then refitted when we wanted to mow again - not a quick procedure;
d) some of the servicing i.e. the hydraulic drive, meant sending it back to the dealer - rather than a diy job.

I looked at small tractors and ended up buying a Fergie TE20 which had a lot of advantages as far as I was concerned:

1) more than enough power to deal with the rough ground;
2) much more versatile than the ride on mower and able to handle a wider range of equipment plus being able to use the hydraulics for jobs like removing old gate posts;
3) keeps it's value - still a good resale price  for classic tractors (ride on's don't hold their value long term)
4) cheap to insure (just over a £1/week  fully comp)
5) easy to diy service and repair.
6) if needs be I can use it on the road; road tax =£0.

I've had it for two years now and it's proved to be the right decision. Total cost of tractor + a new 4 ft topper was well under £2k. A ride on will take less storage space, but that said the Fergie is only the size of a small car and will fit in a small shed.

There's a lot of good advice on websites on these tractors, if you decided to explore further.

That's interesting, thank you. Do you not find it too big a machine? Thirsty (diesel, TVO, other?), hard to manoeuvre, heavy on the ground? And with the age they are, do they not require a fair bit of regular maintenance work?
Might be useful to be able to take it on road though...  :innocent:

We never had any of the problems UPoneacre mentions, maybe we were lucky.  The triple ganger was capable of topping our closest field without having to remove any part of the main machine itself; we didn't bother with the others as we had sheep in them, but we liked strolling through that one with the dogs.  Just had a look at Lawnflites website - looks like they don't do them any more.  It was still going strong last I hear - 20 years later
Thanks. Shame they don't seem to do them any more...

In which case maybe see if you can find a second hand Kubota Comapact tractor that has been well looked after? Not sure that you'll find one in your price range.

I'd keep away from the Chinese built compact tractors they are in general not that well made.

I am looking at Kubota, Yanmar, Iseki etc. They do crop up within my budget sometimes, but they do of course tend to be the older machines. You do get a lot more for your money with the bigger old tractors... I'm fairly mechanically competent (given time and the internet) but I've never worked on a tractor before. And wouldn't really know how to check if I was buying a good one - but I suppose if the engine starts from cold, runs with power and without smoke, all the gears engage, the PTO spins, the 3 point linkage lifts, the brakes work - it can't be too bad?
I'm aiming for an older tractor, both because of my budget and because they're simpler. Suppose I could spend a bit more in order to get a better machine, but I have seen reasonable looking tractors within my budget...

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:25 pm »
The short answer is that I find The TE20 a handy size machine and not too costly to run.

Mine is the petrol/TVO version; all up weight is a little over a ton so equivalent a smallish car and much more manoeuverable with a tight turning circle; as a  rule I don't take it on wet muddy ground to avoid compacting it or churning it up so am selective as to when/how I use it.

The Standard engine fitted to the Fergie is a gnats over 2 litre so not unduly thirsty, but like any machine it depends how you use it. If I had the option I'd go for diesel in preference to save having to mix up TVO (petrol/heating oil) tho' that's not a big job.

As for maintenence it's generally simple straightforward jobs like oil change and a run round with the grease gun; the key to it is to buy a decent one first, of course, but there's nothing on basic Fergie maintenance that you can't do yourself, and with available guidance from members on Fergie groups bigger jobs can be done as well;  I don't know if that's the case with more complex modern machines - others will know more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS