Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Pig  (Read 3057 times)

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
Sick Pig
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:02:06 am »
Hi, When we let our pigs out this morning one of them 16wk GoS gilt was listless and off its food. Have taken its temp and is 38.9 which I believe is normal. Was fine last night. Faeces are normal, peeing more like a dribble rather than a flood. Any ideas? Bullying doesn't seem to be an issue. It was the warmest day we've had for a while yesterday.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sick Pig
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:12:16 am »
Could be any one of a number of things.  I'd consult a vet asap.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:13 pm »
Have they got a wallow?  And plenty of fresh cold water to drink?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:03 pm »
when you say peeing like a dribble and not a flood, does she normally do that or not? How does she look when peeing, is she in pain at all? is she hunched over at all? I would get in vet ASAP to have a  look, after all better safe than sorry  :) Please let us know how she gets on?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:26:20 pm »
Sounds like a UTI to me, easily sorted with antib's.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:52 pm »
Thanks all. Pig got some broad spectrum antibiotics. Bright as a button this morning.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:48 pm »
That is good news well done! remember keep well hydrated as AB's and plenty of fluids will flush out any infections. Could you keep us updated on how she progresses?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:39:26 pm »
Pig fine today. Wednesday was really warm here today and i have learned the old sow was playing nose ball with the water bucket. I suspect she might have been dehydrated and suffering a bit of heatstroke. All appears fine with her today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS