Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Kites  (Read 5603 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Red Kites
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 09:04:02 am »
Hi Pharnorth,  We have had problems with generic black birds too this year. In the end I just stopped using the creep feeder which they were eating from, and feed the lambs twice a day from a trough instead. I don't think they do any harm, so I'm content to let them be.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 09:12:04 am »
There is no creep feed out there. They are mostly hanging out with the angora goats. That paddock has more grass on than usual as when there are sheep or horses on it they eat it bare so it is probably damp weather and worms that are the interest.  Not to mention throwing sticks down the chimney. So apart from the expense  of getting the chimney cleared out and capped in the autumn, and the chore of cleaning bird droppings out of the goat feeders they are doing no harm. I kinda like them actually but it is like living in a Hitchcock movie so reassuring to hear they aren't a threat to the lambs and kids.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 04:44:57 pm »
There was a case somewhere in south of England I think of a little girl being attached by a kite... Family was having a picnic and they'd got so used to taking scraps that it came and landed on her head! I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/676524/toddler-attacked-red-kite-celebrating-birthday-party-park

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 08:38:35 am »
Hardly a deliberate attack, if it landed on the kid to get to the cake!
(Not downplaying the girl's fear and injuries, but it doesn't seem like it was targetting her from what is written)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS