Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have I lost it?  (Read 2935 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Have I lost it?
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »
Hay cut last Thursday (21st), planning to start turning Sunday, baling Monday.  Forecast changed to heavy rain Sunday night, so left it untouched, seeing a gap in the weather for Thursday and Friday this week.  You guessed it, today's intermittent showers have turned into persistent drizzle, tomorrow and Friday both show a couple of showers, and the longer range forecast shows solid rain for the next fortnight.

How long can I leave it unturned on the ground before it's really useless?  I don't mind it being low-nutrient, I've got two very good-doer horses.  I do have one more uncut field, so if I have to write it off, it's not a disaster, just very annoying.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Have I lost it?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »
Hi [member=153616]CarolineJ[/member]   I was hoping that someone else would reply first  :) because your way of making hay is something I've not heard of - to cut, leave lying for several days, turn once, then bale the next day.  Is this how you make it every year?

We cut one day, leave to wilt overnight then spread it the next day.  After that we turn it each day once the sun has been on it and, usually after 5 days if the weather holds, we row it up and bale.

To tell if your crop is still useable, look underneath the lying grass.  If it has started to rot, and if it is turning black, then there will be mould spores in the resulting bales.  If fresh grass has started to grow through the lying crop, then it will be difficult to get it to dry.  Each time the crop is rained on, the nutritional value will drop, also if it's turned too many times so the stems are smashed, but you have said you are not bothered if it's not perfect.

Let us know if you save it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:29 pm »
Thanks - it's my first year and I'm relying on the wisdom of other crofters who've been doing it for decades!  Apparently the ideal up here is 2 or 3 days on the ground to wilt, then turn 3 times in 2 days and bale at the end of that second day. 

Next possible gap is Tuesday and I'm going to be working at a client's office in Sussex that day  ::)  Have told my husband he may get the joy of doing it instead!  If that one doesn't come off, we're forecast solid rain for the 10 days after it, so I think it'll probably have to be scrapped.  Let's hope I have better luck with the other field!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:48 am »
Hm, I had a look at it last night and it's still green but smelling like a rich haylage.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 05:35:08 pm »
I so hope you all get your hay in safely. It's threatening to rain down this end but, if folk haven't got their hay in they don't deserve any, the weather has been lovely for weeks. Hopefully all your rain is coming down to Devon!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:59:14 pm »
Thank you so much for all the advice - we now have a forecast of two and a half completely dry days with a light breeze from tomorrow afternoon, so I think we're going to go for it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
good luck too

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 06:36:28 pm »
Guess what?  It's rained all afternoon.  I went to talk to Ronald and Calum, widely acknowledged to be the area's hay experts, and they've told me not to panic, leave it untouched and hold my nerve.  As Calum said, pointing to the sky, 'He gives us a growing season, He'll give us a harvest,' though he did admit the weather's been atrocious for it up here this year!

On the bright side, it's given us more time to work on our old baler and apart from one sticky bit on the plunger all the bits that should move are now moving.  Hopefully when we hook it up to John's tractor, the bit of rust on the plunger will break before the shear bolt...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS