Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of an adult ram  (Read 2627 times)

susis

• Joined Jul 2012
Cost of an adult ram
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:36:16 pm »
 :wave:Hi,
I'm a registered smallholder because I have a couple of goats who r pets.
I also have 6 horses , 2 of my horses have become very very good friends with a ram. He plays with them etc. I could happily make use of his fleece.

Im pretty sure hea been bought for the meat market. I'm wanting to buy him as partly a play friend and partly my self sufficiency plan.
I also dont want to be ripped off.what should I expect to pay for an adult ram (I dont know his age) what should I be looking to pay plz

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Cost of an adult ram
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »
It really depends on breed. If you go to a ram sale the lowest you will be paying for a ram is £250 and that is a shearling, alternatively you could go to a market where someone was selling off their older rams, you would then be paying £100 each for them, typically. Personally for me I would go with a good ram breeder which produces good quality stock. Always go private is my advice, at sales you have no idea what you're getting and it is best to buy em in when they're shearlings as you get the most out of them. rams should ideally have company and not really horses, as what marches farmer has listed below my coment :)  again it depends on what his value was when he was bought by the owner, say they bought him for 300 then he could only be worth 150, it really depends
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:32:17 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:25:13 pm »
I have to sound a note of caution here.  Rams do not normally play with anything, other than when they're lambs practising fighting to the death, which they will do once the breeding season kicks in.  A sheep is a flock animal and should not be kept without others of its kind.  Equines and sheep sometimes get along but I've heard many, many stories of sheep getting kicked, picked up by the horse and thrown down, etc.  Sheep need their own kit, vetmeds, feed and so on, as well as worming, foot trimming, shearing, pour on, etc., etc.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »
As Marches farmer says.  You would be bringing on a whole load of trouble by buying this ram, about which  you know little, as a playmate for horses.  Not only might he be injured by the horses, but they could also be injured by him - and horses are such expensive things to mend.  Be ruled by your head not your heart in this.  Why is the tup in the field with your horses?  Or is he on the other side of a fence?  Very different scenarios.

When you say you want him for your self sufficiency plan, what do you mean?  Are you intending to breed sheep for meat?  If so, get your ewes first then choose an appropriate tup.  If you go for registered stock, then you will need a registered tup of the same breed.  If you don't need them registered, then you still need to match your tup to your ewes for the best meat.

Oh and tups' fleeces stink, and no matter how much you wash them the smell will come back when your jumper or whatever gets wet.  You are far better to use fleece from ewes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:53:57 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

susis

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:25:46 pm »
He ia in with my horses now (owner wanted him with mine and I had no real concerns as I have goats and mine r very used to turn out with them).
My plan for 18 Mo that time is to buy land to move my horses and goats onto. I plan to keep hens, ducks more goats alpacas sheep amd bees. I have experience with all apart from bees. They r a very new venture.
I want to produce as much as possible to sustain my families lifestyle and hopefully in time sell surplus. But that's a longer term project.
This ram has simply taken a shine to my ponies and would be part of a breed my own flock project. My plan would be to buy 5 ewes this year then castrate him and any ram lambs. Asuch as this is something I love its also not about profit for the next few years. Its simply about enjoying the pre set up if that makes sense

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:26:35 am »
Think you might want to look at old post about cost of castration before you consider this plan.  Why did owner want him in with your animals? Bit of a strange request .... I would be worried about who pays if there is an injury.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:57:37 am »
Without knowing anything about him, he's probably worth between £80 (basically meat money) and £100,000. I'd suggest somewhere near the lower end of that scale  ;) .

I agree though, it is a bit of a strange arrangement, and it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of your plans or setup all that well (if you want companion sheep, there would be better choices). In particular, how would having him castrated fit in with your plan? I'm afraid I don't understand this yet!  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:13 am »
This sounds a bit strange to me. If you are thinking long term and plan to buy Sheep to breed from then the type of ram you buy must suit your breed of ewes to give you good meat lambs. Do you know if this ram is even fertile ? Is he pure bred or a cross bred. Most who buy only a few ewes borrow a ram as keeping one  can be a problem when his job is done. Even if you get his bits removed.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »
I think, if you want to rear lambs for meat, you may be better off buying in weaned lambs. I'm not sure whether you want to breed your own lambs in which case you could buy in ewe lambs of breeding age.
What breed is the ram do you have?
If you have 6 horses why on earth would they need the company of a ram?!! Rams do NOT make good pets or companions!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS