Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fly tipping  (Read 3670 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
fly tipping
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »
My 95 year old father lives down a lane which he owns .Big problem with fly tipping at the moment..we've had all types..garden rubbish..huge boulders household waste etc  As the local authority own the land on one side of the hedge we can usually chuck it over the hedge and get council to pick up. The local authority are getting more difficult now and are insisting it is my fathers responsibility....The last load     dumped included huge boulders which a local farmer kindly moved with his digger.
Thinking of installing an ordinary farm gate just off the entrance to the lane...no locks...do you think it would put off fly tippers  .A bit of a hassle closing gate each evening though.ANYONE GOT ANY OTHER IDEAS? No access to electricity at this location.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: fly tipping
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:07 pm »
Might put them off but I doubt it.  I think I would also put a sign "cameras operating in this lane". Might even go as far as installing camera - they don't know you don't have electric!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:12:14 pm »
A few ideas suggestions?..

Hidden movement activated camera like the ones you see on wildlife programs..  .?  Cheap and battery powered.

Invest a few evenings on look out duty ? A rota with all your family involved ?

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
There was an earlier thread about the threat of proceedings against oner TASer who moved dumped rubbish from private land to council land so be careful of both doing it and posting about such notions. On a positive note; in our lane, a careful sift of the rubbish dumped over a period of a few weeks found a letter linking the last lot of rubbish to a house that was being renovated. I cannot confirm that any prosecutions followed as for eg I do not know what the on site builders said about who they gave their rubble to but, interestingly, the dumping stopped which suggests the repeated dumping was by one source and close enquiry sca4ed them off (or elsewhere)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:10:34 pm »
Had a visit from a council worker who took photos of rubbish and addresses today...We've always had the occasional flytipping...for years..including tyres. But this weekend it was boulders blocking access and if it hadn't been for a local farmer we would have had a problem.
If this kind of problem is going to escalate...then we need a fix. Looking at warning signs on ebay but would these be seen at night ?
My dad only has domestic house insurance and it it were asbestos or something he would end up with a big bill for disposal. Are farmers covered for this with their insurance?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »
You wouldn't mind so much if only they would dump something USEFUL!!!!

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »
something useful to fill the holes in the lane would be ideal.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 08:46:51 pm »
The neighbour doesn't want the hassle of a gate so given up on that idea .Plenty of dummy CCTV cameras on ebay  but how realistic are they?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:41 am »
Hidden movement activated camera like the ones you see on wildlife programs..  .?  Cheap and battery powered.

Yes, I borrowed one of these motion activated trail cameras to figure out what was coming through the gap in our fence. It took some really good sharp photos of, well mostly sheep if I'm honest. However, it could easily be hidden in a hedge or similar, and would take photos of people coming and going, including at night. If you bought a large capacity memory card, you could just leave it running until somebody tipped rubbish, and then review the footage. The only thing I'd be wary of is that I *think* it shows a red light during night shots, so this might give its presence away if you're not careful. The review says that there's a version with a non-visible night 'flash', so this might be worth seeking out if you go down this route.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:24:43 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 07:45:30 am »
If there is a light on the camera at night this may act as sufficient deterrent. It doesn't stop the fly tipping as the tippers will just find somewhere else, but it may solve the problem for Juliem and her father.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:13:45 am »
Curiously it may be worth doing both. That is a very visible dummy camera and signage to deter, but on the basis there may still be the odd one or two who aim to trash your dummy camera or recognise it is a dummy a hidden one as well. However, you would be lucky to get clear enough pictures to recognise the culprit.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:15:14 am »
True, but if you can get a numberplate, you're most of the way there  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 11:28:58 am »
Even if you don't get the number plate you will start to build a pattern of who comes and what day/time  they come.   Keep a diary of each event and the time frame in which it happened eg. what day of the week.

Its more than likely to be the same people ...(after all the world isn't full of people doing this) at similar times of day /days of the week .

After a while you will work out a narrow window of time in which you need to sit and wait to catch them red handed.

I wouldn't suggest doing this (actually approaching them) but sit hidden and video the event getting the reg plate so the evidence can be passed to the police.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:42:12 am by stufe35 »

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:51:25 pm »
Regarding trail cameras - the red glow relates to the wavelength of infra red used.

850nm LEDs give a slight red glow but illuminate a greater distance. The 940nm don't but have a shorter effective range. You can get either type, sometimes one model is available with either option.

Whether someone would see the glow is a different matter - it often isn't that obvious and their night vision won't be developed if they've been driving and unloading with lights on.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:23:34 pm »
Worth reading this thread

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=71155.0

bear in mind the rubbish dumped probably belongs to some innocent house holder but has been dumped by their builder.

Take pictures of any distinctive rubbish and circulate it on face book or however. The owner or someone may recognise it.

Another idea, we live on a long drive and have a sensor hidden in the hedge which sets off a door bell type chime in our house so we know someone is approaching.  It works over a 1000m,  so could be another tool to consider. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS