Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bitten by horseflies  (Read 4442 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
bitten by horseflies
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:18 pm »
I was picking ragwort the other day, what is remaining of it, and I felt a bit of pain and itchiness, it went away and today I have 3 big bites on my arm, one under my bra strap and 1 just above my backside, they're like big hives and so itchy. Has anyone got any recommendations for stuff to put on them to alleviate the itchiness and reduce swelling if poss?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: bitten by horseflies
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:52:24 pm »
The horseflies love me too. I just use antihistamine cream on mine.

I have to be careful though as I had one that became infected and had to have a course of antibiotics. Just don't scratch them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:06:49 pm »
There is another fly in the horse fly type, but folds it's wings flat, called a Cleg  (+g? ).
Ivery been bitten a few times on my arms or legs, can turn very nasty, ended up at A&European a few times +ABs.  Dr advises Piriton tablets,  I always keep some in and start taking as soon as little lump starts looking like a swollen reddish patch.
Last time hospital doctor drew a line round it (most of my arm by then), said if it went beyond that,  I had a red line , or started to feel confused I'd to get back there without delay, they'd wanted to keep me in on a drip but I wanted to go home.
Scary.
Get to doctor or Hospital if you feel it's getting worrying.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 05:14:49 pm »
Pyriton - Chlorphenamine Maleate. Ask for those instead of Pyriton, much cheaper. Almost all of the anti-histamines are now available as generics.

I find them useful for bee stings. Always take one before going into the hives.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:30:36 pm »
Hydrocortisone cream (or whatever steroid cream you can lay your hands on). Small amount once or twice a day will help. Also an antihistamine tablet that is suitable for you. You can also use ice as temporary itch relief - rub an ice cube over the bite for a few minutes.

And definitely agree with Bionic - watch them for signs of infection or exaggerated reaction, which is reasonably often with horseflies.

On the plus side at least the ones over here are only bluebottle sized. Saw a bunch in Poland last month that were the size of my little finger!  :o

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the advise guys I really appreciate it, def will keep an eye on them in case of infection. Thanks again guys! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »
Mouthwash, surprisingly, is good at soothing insect bites.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »
Peppermint essential oil takes out the heat from the bite site, maybe that's why mouthwash helps?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »
I use neat TCP. It stinks but helps.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »
When they get you, horseflies tear off a strip of skin.  This, plus the fact of the fly's lifestyle, is why they are prone to become infected.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:09:59 pm »
I used to get bitten by clegs and they are vicious. I second what Penninehillbilly said except I always took a Piriton as soon as I was bitten. Often ended up on antibiotics as well because of the hard lump that I invariably ended up with. Midges can also cause a reaction in me so I go for the antihitamines then. I even get bitten by house flies.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:24:32 pm »
Tcp :love:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 02:22:10 pm »
Clean it and then stick a plaster on it so that it can't be rubbed (and hence itch), then ignore it :).  Unless it swells up like a squash ball, in which case see a doc :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS