Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb just not right  (Read 1949 times)

Je

• Joined May 2015
Lamb just not right
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:16:55 am »
May I ask advice please?
My 4 month old lamb has had diarrhoea for a week not watery but very soft, was bright. One of the adult ewes also has diarrhoea she is bright plump and eating.Other 2 lambs and this lambs mother are fine. I have been bum washing daily to avoid strike. Did WEC on scouring adult came back low WEC and low coccidia. My wee lamb is a bit dull today though did have a sook from Mum. Any thoughts? Thanks in anticipation.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Lamb just not right
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:14 am »
I think of adults and youngsters almost as different animals, we would dose the lamb,mind act dose all the lambs x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:23 am »
If they were mine I'd have wormed them as soon as they started to be mucky. 

If they've been scouring for a week they'll probably be dehydrated and needing electrolytes now.  Vitamins would probably be useful, too.

If they've got fresh water to drink, the ewe should take that herself, but lambs won't always drink water; they just go to the milk bar.  You can check if he's dehydrated by pinching the skin; if you can see a 'tent' briefly after you let go, he's dehydrated.  If so, I'd get Pfizer Scour Formula or Rehydion or something and give the lamb 24 hours on that. 

If their hydration is okay but the lamb is dull, then vitamins. 

I'd worm them both, hydrate and give vitamins. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:50:07 am »
Thank you sounds good advice. What drench should I use as WEC did not highlight a particular worm? Thanks  :)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
Well for lambs in spring onwards nematodirus.   Ask vet what next.  We drenched all of ours with rycoben SC. as Sally says electrolyte gel required , wynstay or any good farm co op will carry rehydion or similar

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
This time of year I'm using Albex, which is albendazole.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:47 pm »
Will act on it. Thank you both, great to have someone to ask. :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »
Will act on it. Thank you both, great to have someone to ask. :)

That's what we're here for!   :)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:35 pm »
Get a FEC done on the lamb before you worm and weigh so that it's wormed the right dose. If it's one of several lambs, scouring or not take several samples from individual lambs and get a pooled sample done !! Then get the vet to recommend a wormer according to the findings. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS