Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb ram one testicle  (Read 4300 times)

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
Lamb ram one testicle
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:15 pm »
Hi all,

We banded our boys when we lambed. We knew that with one of them we had "missed one". We were doing checks today and the remaining one seems very hard. Does anyone know if we should be concerned. We wondered if the banding caused damage that needs sorting?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb ram one testicle
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:17:03 pm »
Banding a single testicle can often catch part of the second, and/or the cord, and yes that would cause damage.  And quite a lot of pain at the time, too.  I always remove the band - cut it off if necessary - if I haven't got two testicles properly caught when I check.

How's the lamb in himself?  And what's your expectation for him?  If he seems fine and is destined to be away by Autumn...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:25:23 pm »
Hi there,

He's absolutely fine. He's about 4 months old now so it doesn't seem to have been causing him a problem but we hadn't actually felt it until today

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:26:24 pm »
He will be a freezer lamb by the way ????

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:42 pm »
Whoops. Used wrong emoji. Sorry  :)

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:44 am »
Oh. Just noticed on another subject you are a spinner.
Hopefully this picture has attached.  Do you have any idea what kind of wheel this is and whether it's a viable option to learn on?  I bought it in Wales last year and don't know where to start. I have emailed my local guild twice hoping to join but they don't reply.  ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:26 am »
Banding a single testicle can often catch part of the second, and/or the cord, and yes that would cause damage.  And quite a lot of pain at the time, too.  I always remove the band - cut it off if necessary - if I haven't got two testicles properly caught when I check.
How's the lamb in himself?  And what's your expectation for him?  If he seems fine and is destined to be away by Autumn...
Do you have space to run the ram lambs separately after weaning?  If so you don't need to band them and they'll grow more quickly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:12:40 am »
 :spin:  :excited:

It's some kind of Saxony wheel, scotch tension.  I'm not an expert on older wheels; if you're on Ravelry and post the pic there, someone may be able to tell you more about it.  Or you may find it on the UK spinning wheels info website.

Saxony is just the style - flyer offset to the side of the drive wheel, whereas a castle wheel has the flyer above the drive wheel.

As far as I can see, your wheel looks serviceable.  Some older wheels weren't built to be used, they were woodworking projects.  So the only way to be sure is if someone recognises the brand/make, or to give it a go.  It looks as though you'll need a brake band, which will run over the groove in the end of the bobbin and be tensioned by the knob at the front. 

If it is a working wheel, it may be one you could learn on.  Often people find that these types of wheel aren't the easiest for beginners, but scotch tension is usually easier than double drive for learners, so it may be fine for you.  Only one way to find out!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a response from your local Guild.  Whereabouts are you?  There may be other local groups.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:15:09 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 10:53:09 am »
[member=161690]tanyalou[/member] , you will get a better response if you put this as a new message in the 'crafts section', where other spinners will see it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:32 am »
Thank you  :thumbsup:

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:06:38 am »
Hi sally,

Thank you for all that.
The lady I bought from had been using it herself for years so it is useable if you know how.
I am in sunny Suffolk about 10 miles from the Norfolk border
 :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:37:26 pm »
There's a list of spinning groups in Yarn Maker magazine; also a list is maintained on Ravelry.  linky.  I can't see any groups listed there for Norfolk or Suffolk, though, so I'd ask if anyone knows of on on the UK Spinners group linky

If you aren't on Ravelry, there's Spinners in the UK on Facebook.  Take any advice you get on there with a pinch of salt until you've been on long enough to work out who knows what they're talking about ;) - but it would be a good place to ask about groups local to you.

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
Hi

Great thanks for all the info. I am on ravelry and no one has come up with spinners local to me or identified the wheel. I don't do Facebook as I can't stand all the nonsense (bit of a bug bear with me!) I 'll keep searching though. Probably more during the winter months when life on a smallholding calms down  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS