Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Now taking orders for half pigs  (Read 5128 times)

congerchamp

• Joined Feb 2010
Now taking orders for half pigs
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
I am now taking orders for half pig box's. They average between 25kg and 35kg per box and will be professionally cut into joints and sausages made from the trimmings. I am selling them at £3 per kg. I am in Maesteg mid Glamorgan and can deliver locally for fuel costs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Now taking orders for half pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:21:14 pm »
You'd be best posting this in Marketplace.  Many of the people who frequent Pigs have their own ;)

Put your location in the subject when you post in Marketplace.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
And, in opinion, you are selling them far too cheaply!!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »
Yeah i was wondering how anyone could go that low

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:52:09 pm »
Or why?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:08:39 pm »
Half a pig box weight 35kg?? So a whole pig, butchered is 70kg? Really? That would give a live weight of about 120kg. Those a BIG pigs IMO. How old are they at slaughter?

congerchamp

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:54:21 pm »
6-7 months at slaughter. I sell them for £3 kg because I more for them that way. If I take them to livestock market I'll get about £80 for them and have to travel around 40 each way. Take fuel from that and auctioneer fees not much left. Slaughterhouse is 2 miles away charges around £40 to kill, cut into joints and sausages for a 70 kg cutter about 100kg live weight. Pigs kept are Gloucester old spot cross welsh  and welsh x large white. All free ranged and fed mainly rolled barley and sow rolls.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »
£3/ kg is far too cheap.  I known i am closer to London where an "idiot tax" is attched to most things but I am getting £7 /kg and get repeat business year after year.

Your product is better than what people can buy in the super market ans should be priced accordingly. Don't sell your hard work short !

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:07 pm »
Always confusing when people advertise half a pig. It's not usually clear whether the price quoted refers to the weight before butchery ie including the bones etc, or if it's the weight that you will actually get after butchery.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:32 pm »
Very true.

Mine is boned and rolled joints.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:26 pm »
Hi. Also think you are too cheap. £7 a kilo at least up here in Scotland.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 11:22:23 am »
£7 a kilo priced after processing ie the actual meat you get is fine. If it was £7/kg on the bone it would be taking the mickey.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »
Half a pig box weight 35kg?? So a whole pig, butchered is 70kg? Really? That would give a live weight of about 120kg. Those a BIG pigs IMO. How old are they at slaughter?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:46 pm »
As this isn't the marketplace I've let this run until now, but please remember adverts aren't an invitation for other members to critique the OP's business practices or prices.

If you are interested in purchasing the product or service advertised then by all means ask relevant questions, otherwise please use PM, start a new topic on the general subject, or remain silent.

TIA.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS