Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Escaped Hen  (Read 1776 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
Escaped Hen
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:06 pm »
My brother dropped his hens off at my house last night as he's going on holiday.  They're staying in our unusued dog run which has an attached shed.  I opened the shed door this morning to let them into the run and one of them escaped.  The run doesn't have a roof and she actually flew out!  I ran into the house to get a bit of bread to lure her in but when I got back outside she had disappeared.  A neighbour did spot her since but I can't find her.  I'm hoping that she can see and/or hear the other hens and will return of her own accord.  Any suggestions of how to lure her back?

Really hope she returns this evening.  It's a week until my five year-old nephew will be back and asking for his hens.

I have put the remaining hens in our spare chicken tractor which is, I hope, escape proof.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Escaped Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:16:23 pm »
If she survives and comes back to the others clucking she will go to the dog run - so I hope it is close to your tractor shed.

Moral is always keep new hens in and hen proof enclosure for at least a  week. 

I never clip wings in case a fox comes - reckon they have at least a chance if they can fly, but perhaps your brother should have thought of that when he left them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
I would scout around and sniff her out with the dog, she may have gone broody somewhere. I had this a few years back during a horrific storm 1 went missing and I found her with the dogs and they flushed her out and I caught her and brought her back. Try and check in undergrowth especially around where you live and send the dogs in sniffing for her. I hope all turns out well, I am sorry this has happened. :hug: Could you keep us updated?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »
Thanks for tips.

Have spotted her but she keeps running off every time I approach, even when I have food.

The run they have at my brother's doesn't have a top/roof and they never fly out. Maybe she didn't like being in a new place.

Chicken tractor is directly beside the dog run. Oh and dogs are in the house. The dog run is just something that came with the house. Our own hens are in their hen run - would letting our hens out draw the AWOL hen in or discourage her from returning?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:05:41 pm by Isla »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »
I think I'd leave her now - don't go chasing her - you might put her farther away and stop her returning.  She'll look for home at roosting time, so creep out to look when it's starting to go dark.  They can't see well in the dark so might be easier caught
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:16:13 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
Agree with the above comment. Patience and more patience probably needed. If you get a rough idea of location and she doesn't wander back then look for her at dark when you will find it easier to sneak up and get her.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:51:30 pm »
Ahh she's now back with the others!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 11:08:11 pm »
Great news.  Now put a cover over the run till your brother comes back (and the nephew gestapo lol)  When they've done it once they'll try it again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS