Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wierd Garlic  (Read 2660 times)

I81B4U

• Joined Jul 2016
  • Stirlingshire
Wierd Garlic
« on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:41 am »
Does anyone know why some of my garlic plants have produced 2-4 cloves an inch or 2 above the main bulb. It makes them look slightly Frankenstein and impossible to plait!
I'm thinking that it might be the cooler winter this year (I'm in Stirlingshire) that has done something to the original planted cloves? ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wierd Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:06 am »
No idea, but I have another question.  does any other bulb look like garlic?  I pulled up a few the other day that look like garlic bulbs but I can't remember planting them where they were growing - but I DO have a terrible memory and I DO plant things in odd places. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:31:38 pm »
I have found some varieties more prone to this than others. Just pull them off the stem and you can plant them for next year.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

I81B4U

• Joined Jul 2016
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
Definitely garlic as bought from the Garlic Company on the Isle Of White and put in a raised bed - but agree with the "did I plant that or not" as I now draw a plan of the beds and what I planted. That said, having recently lifted the onions and shallots I can't remember what salad / rocket seeds I chucked in (it was sunny and a glass of wine was available) so I'm looking forward to see what does grow there in the next few weeks! Good plan to reuse the "odd" cloves for next year, they are currently drying so will plant them out later this year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 04:08:50 pm »
No idea, but I have another question.  does any other bulb look like garlic?  I pulled up a few the other day that look like garlic bulbs but I can't remember planting them where they were growing - but I DO have a terrible memory and I DO plant things in odd places. :innocent:

If it smells like garlic then it is garlic  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 07:57:21 pm »
Does anyone know why some of my garlic plants have produced 2-4 cloves an inch or 2 above the main bulb. It makes them look slightly Frankenstein and impossible to plait!
I'm thinking that it might be the cooler winter this year (I'm in Stirlingshire) that has done something to the original planted cloves? ???

My garlic crop have also produced  quite a few of these " bulbils " , I think they are from the " Hardneck Garlic " varieties .
We've eaten some and are still here . 
I seem to remember that if you plant the " bulbils"  in early November you'll have the chance of a crop of early bulbs next year that come up like shallots .
ie Several spindly stalks from the bulbil with a small bulb in the soil on each stalk .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 08:01:58 pm »

Like you I've discovered half a dozen rock solid whitish lower half , going green at the top of the bulb   . Mine definitely came from planted cloves  that never quite made it into a full grown bulb .. Bad cold weather is the cause I suspect .

You can get new unintentional bulbs from seeding garlic bulbils ( they are about 1.5 mm in size ) that form in the flowers .  Again I think they are only from the hardneck varieties ..

My garlic is in a permanent bed  , grown to a pattern of nine cloves  in  marked off with twine grids of one square feet sections .  So it's easy to spot weeds and things that are out of place & snip them off .
I got a bit confused when birds & squirrels decided to have a dig around in the bed and moved precisely planted bulbils & cloves .

Any doubts about a bulb being garlic cut it in half , scrape off a bit of juice from across the cut and smell it , only taste it if it smells like garlic .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:14:27 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS