Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig fencing  (Read 1655 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Pig fencing
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:00:54 pm »
Hello!

We have a 3 acre field currently housing 5 lambs (for fattening). Next year we want to section off a area for 2 pigs most likely with lambs in the remaining area. Could I ask...

1 - what kind of fencing is best to isolate them and keep them in

2 - how much space should we allow them  - want them to have plenty of space to free range and mooch whilst still allowing lamb space (we can cut down on lamb numbers).

Thanks in advance - we are in year 1 of small holding so all advice appreciated!

eaglesalz

• Joined Jun 2016
Re: Pig fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:23:49 pm »
Hello, I used light stock fencing (1mtr high) and put the posts at 2 mtr spacing (chestnut). I ran barbed wire on the inside about 100mm from the ground and another around the 300mm height. I then ran a 2mm thick wire at a height of approx 500mm and have this energised. The size of my area is around 22mtrs x 22mtrs, I have another area with a gate between the first one of about 20mtrs x 10mtrs, another area 26mtrs x 14mtrs with a gate to the previous area, another area 22mtrs x 10mtrs with a gate to the previous area. I plan to do a few more (20mtr x 12 mtrs) areas because I just don't have the time to cut the grass, weeds etc and the pigs do a good job at this. We have 2 x Berkshires and 1 x middle white and the reason my fencing may be over the top is when we started we had landrace and they got through chain link fencing and trotted off down the road. One thing if you have not got them already is a post rammer and a wire tensioner (mine are by Draper tools, £85 for both) and they save a lot of time and the rammer is much better than a sledge hammer.

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Re: Pig fencing
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:48:01 pm »
That's really helpful eaglesalz, thank you. Will definitely look the tools up too  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS