Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay in Scotland?  (Read 11282 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Re: Hay in Scotland?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 10:36:37 pm »
Got all mines in tonight. 832 lovely bales  ;D

Wondering if it was beginners luck. Perfect weather and my cheap "take a punt" baler didn't miss a beat.

Thank you for all the advice from everyone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:33 pm »
All but 6 of the 54 big bales in one field today are hay :relief:  This was cut Sunday evening and worked hard yesterday and today, baled late this afternoon.  Blistering days here yesterday and today :sunshine:

The other field is too damp, we think, to make hay by tomorrow, so it'll have to be wrapped.  Loads of rain forecast for Friday :gloomy:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 06:57:41 am »
Whilst I am stuck offshore missing this great weather my (slightly mental) darling wife has learned how to use the mower, taught herself how the Vicon Acrobat works and turned the hay a couple of times, and hauled the baler out into the field ready to try and work out how it works tonight.  I keep trying to say "just leave it in rows until I get home" but seem to be being ignored!

Also, at the weekend she bought a tractor at Dingwall Mart and she has a full time job so is doing all this hay making in the evenings.
 :sunshine:

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 10:02:47 am »
Argh, John wasn't available yesterday afternoon - if he had been, we could have rowed up the point and baled it early evening.  There's been a big temperature drop overnight, everything is soaked in heavy dew and it's still so misty that I can't see past the end of the field next to the house.

Crossing everything very hard that the promised 22C and sunshine later today materialises and it dries out enough to bale this evening, because John's not around tomorrow and we've got rain on Saturday  :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 11:10:24 am »
Same here, CarolineJ.  The sun is just beginning to burn off the cloud now.  (11am.)  Our remaining field will be wrapped anyway, but my goodness are we glad we baled the other yesterday, in baking heat.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you too :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 01:05:30 pm »
Thanks Sally, fingers crossed for you as well.  The mist has gone, but it's overcast and the ground is still soaking.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »
Whilst I am stuck offshore missing this great weather my (slightly mental) darling wife has learned how to use the mower, taught herself how the Vicon Acrobat works and turned the hay a couple of times, and hauled the baler out into the field ready to try and work out how it works tonight.  I keep trying to say "just leave it in rows until I get home" but seem to be being ignored!

Also, at the weekend she bought a tractor at Dingwall Mart and she has a full time job so is doing all this hay making in the evenings.
 :sunshine:

Bless her heart!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:04 pm »
Thanks Sally, fingers crossed for you as well.  The mist has gone, but it's overcast and the ground is still soaking.

fingers crossed for you   :fc:

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:16 am »
We left it alone, it didn't dry until 9pm.  6.30am this morning the phone rings and it's John, saying he's rearranged his day and will be with us at 10.30 to give it a final flip before rowing it up and baling - we've had a breeze all night and it's gloriously sunny  :excited: :excited:

Grant

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:30 pm »
The joys of working abroad - my hay field got ignored this week as the big boys have there priorities elsewhere - oh well it looks like the neighbour will be getting cheap silage again.
Last year was the same, my neighbour got 18 big rounds of silage and I ended up spending 5 days rolling out his round bales of hay in the shed, putting them back through the small square baler and got nearly 200 small bales. At least it heats you up in the cold days.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »
At least you got something in return Grant, for the last couple years a local farming has been taking 150+ large bales off our fields and I didn't get a thing in return. Thats why I decided to invest in some equipment and this year took over 800 small bales of hay off. If I sell most of the bales I've made my money back.

Hope the baling is going well Caroline!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:22 pm »
*whimper*
I wasn't expecting to get 305 bales off that field!!!  All safely stacked in various barns, sheds, trailers and vans around the village and my first year of taking hay off my own fields is done.  443 in total - I only needed about 100!

We finished at 10.30pm, so pretty much 12 hours.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
well done , long hot soak in the bath now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 11:42:08 am »
Brilliant!  You've got some in hand for next year, now, too.  And some to sell as well, by the sound of it!  Congratulations!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
Well I finally got home and have the hay in.

Whilst I was away my wife learned how to hitch up the mower and mowed the field.  Learned how to use the Acrobat and turned the hay a couple if times.  Went to the auction mart and bought a bigger tractor, learned how to work the baler and started baling, learned how to change shear bolts but unfortunately came to a halt trying to unjam the baler - I just can't get the staff!!!

It rained a few times but we have just had a weather window just long enough to get it baled and in, 200 small bales.  Lots of hard work (which I mostly dodged!) but very satisfying looking at it in the shed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS