Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PD'ing time again  (Read 5086 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
PD'ing time again
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:36 pm »
Well last time when I did the milk sample test and then PD'd via the vet he confirmed the milk test results, only one in calf. Anyway since then the young bulls we have, have been telling us when the cows are ready and we have be AI'ing according to that, previous programme never worked. It turns out that the young bulls are not even working as they keep going over the cows again and again, very fustrating for us, we decided to give them a chance as AI wasn't working. We have done the milk test again and as it turns out the same result, only 1 has gotten into calf. We are going to get the vet to confirm, but this is a disaster. Dad said he is going to get the straws tested in case its low fertility, due to this we are having to import a load more buffalo to keep milk up through the winter and spring, until our current ones calve next summer. We are milking all year around now, so it doesn't help to have a big gap in calving does it? We needed to import more anyway as we didn't have enough buffaloes on farm, but now it is a necessity. Now I am going to just have to find the money and borrow the rest from the bank to pay for them, them being more expensive because of leaving the EU. Why does this have to happen in our most busiest year?  :'( Sorry for the rant guys I felt I had to let it out.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: PD'ing time again
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:56 pm »
Not to sound like a fool but what does PD'd mean?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:05 pm »
Not to sound like a fool but what does PD'd mean?
No not at all  it means Pregnancy diagnosis :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:04:58 pm »
It seems strange to me, not so much that the AI was unsuccessful, but that the young bulls weren't successful either.
 In 30 years of keeping cattle, I've never had a young bull fail! I've  used many of them as young as 8 months and they've got my cows pregnant in the first month of working.
 So I would be inclined, with such a high failure rate, to suspect that the fault was in your cows, - maybe a mineral deficiency or infection?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:08:46 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:12:12 am »
It seems strange to me, not so much that the AI was unsuccessful, but that the young bulls weren't successful either.
 In 30 years of keeping cattle, I've never had a young bull fail! I've  used many of them as young as 8 months and they've got my cows pregnant in the first month of working.
 So I would be inclined, with such a high failure rate, to suspect that the fault was in your cows, - maybe a mineral deficiency or infection?
They are all kept very healthy and are given extra feed even in summer when milking. Its happening with the original herd though as well as the imports and thats not usual :-\ I will get them checked over. The bulls are 18 months old and may only just be about to work. Thanks for the input though I will definately try and get some trsts done to see whats wrong.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:16:36 am »
Nosy question lol do they mature later than other bovines 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:03 am »
Nosy question lol do they mature later than other bovines
Yes they do. They are a different species although listed under bovine they are actually bubalis, bubalis whereas cattle are bovine. we dont put ours in calf until 24 months, as they take a lot longer to get up to size.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:36:10 pm »
Thank you they do interest me sadly don't have land or I would be tempted

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:41:22 pm »
Do you have lots of clover?  I know that with sheep and horses too much clover reduces conception.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:28:04 pm »

Actually, our current bull, purchased at 14 months, was not stopping the cows, so we got the vet to look at him.  He found nothing wrong with the sperm, or the bull, just that the sperm count was very very low.  No sign that he'd been ill, nothing wrong with the sperm that were there.  So just he was, to everyone's surprise, a little bit too immature to work just yet.  We gave him time, used AI in the meantime, and he started to stop the cows a few months later.  He's been a really super bull ever since, so we were glad we gave him time.

Doesn't help you at all, wbf.  Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:46:45 pm »
NP sally its just one of those years ::) I am trying to import some more atm to fill up the gap in calving which we will have, so hopefully all will be well soon. I am starting to AI them again, so far 2 have taken but I think I might get the bulls tested to make sure, plus the AI sperm too. I have a horrible feeling that it could be the cows themselves though, maybe their fertility isn't as good as it could be? I was thinking of getting the quality of pasture tested to see if any nutrients are lacking at all. Has anyone else had any probelms at all though?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:34 pm »
I'd talk to the vet.  Could be a mineral deficiency, could be an infective agent.  The vet may be able to test for some things.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS